1909 Defeated in Hockey

In its first game the Freshman hockey team was defeated by St. mark's School on Saturday by a score of 3 to 0 on the St. Mark's rink at Southboro.

The Freshmen were completely outplayed by their opponents, especially in the first half when two of the three points were made. In the second half, however, the forwards on the Freshman team played together more consistently, but their well directed attempts to score were blocked by the effective defense of the St. Mark's team. The bad condition of the ice, which made passing difficult, together with the lack of practice of both teams led, to a great extent, to the individual playing shown on both sides throughout the game. After losing the puck the Freshmen forwards relied too much on the defense and they did not follow back properly at critical moments.

The summary: HARVARD 1909  ST. MARK'S. Dougherty, l.e.  r.e., Wood Irving, l.c.  r.c., Dilworth Briggs, r.c.  l.c., Gardner Crosby, r.e.  l.e., Peabody Sampso, Ford, c.p.  c.p., Whitehouse Prescott, p.  p., Fish Washburn, g.  g., Potter