BELL PRIZE TO CLOSE MAY 1

Award of $275 Will be Made for Best Essay on Subject in American Literature Approved by Dean Briggs

The Helen Choate Bell Prize, offered this year, as usual, for the best essay of from five to ten thousand words on a subject in American Literature to be approved by Dean Briggs, and the competition will be open to all students in the University or Radcliffe College. It will close on May 1, 1922.

The statement issued by the committee in charge of the prize sets forth the following terms and conditions for the competition:

"This prize was founded by friends of Mrs. Helen Choate Bell, who died in 1918, to commemorate her connection with American Literature. It is open to any student in the University or in Radcliffe College, and is awarded for merit in work in the field of American Literature. The terms of competition are fixed from time to time by the Department of English, with the approval of the Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory or his representative. The Department is instructed to withhold the prize unless it is clearly merited, and any unexpended income may be either added to the principal or reserved to increase the amount of the prize in a subsequent year.

The stipend in 1921-22 will be $275. The prize is offered for the best essay of from 5,000 to 10,000 words on a subject in American Literature, approved by the Boylston Professor. Excellence in form as well as in substance will be required. Theses in college courses and chapters from theses submitted for the degree of Ph.D. may be accepted; but no essay submitted for any other prize in the same college year is eligible. Essays may be left at 10 University Hall any time before May 1, 1922. They should be signed with an assumed name and should be accompanied by a sealed envelope containing the name and address of the author."