CLAM BROWDER

Yale crashed through and gave the highly publicized Browder a chance to speak his mind, which he proceeded to do yesterday while the other big eastern colleges stood by awaiting the results with considerable personal interest. Some of the authorities of these Universities will no doubt view the raucous proceedings in New Haven last night as something of which they did very well to steer clear, but if they stop to think again they may realize that Yale gained a great deal more than it lost by allowing the meeting to be held. Exactly the reverse is true for those colleges which refused to let Browder speak. They remain in the public eye even more than before as timid and reactionary.

Despite all the pronouncements of the Communist Party's secretary that the meeting was orderly and friendly, it is quite evident that on the whole Browder and Yale did not get along very well together. No great inroads have been made as yet by the Communist party into the undergraduate body at New Haven. But Browder had a chance to speak his fill, and as a result members of the college had the opportunity to make up their own minds how they felt. The verdict was quite clear, Browder did not acquit himself very well. Instead of trying to convince his hearers of his cause and its relation to the peace of the United States, most of his speech was a personal vindication of himself and a harangue against his opponents. But steam has been let off and the air is clear.

In other words the meeting did not make Yale look stupid but rather Browder himself and the Universities which did not allow him to speak. The probable desires that led the Harvard Corporation to sustain the Browder ban have not been fulfilled. If they desired to avoid notoriety, they obviously have failed dismally. If they desired to put an end to the rumors once and for all that Harvard is a den of young Communists, they have been equally unsuccessful. Suppression to the unknowing public always smacks of fear, in this case it would mean fear of the influence of such a meeting among the undergraduates. In short the public may be all the more deceived into thinking that Communism thrives in Cambridge. Harvard and its fellow universities at Hanover and Princeton have definitely come out on the short end of the Browder deal.