COACHING AND SPIRIT OF YALE MIN JOECHS WHICH DEFEATED UNIVERSITY ELLVIN IN SATURDAY'S GAME

Lawrence Perry Uphclds Umpire In Not Allowing Casey's Touchdown.--Receipts of Contest $13,000 More Than Previous Record--Dr. F. Palmer '00 May Head Haverford College.

Lawrence Perry, sporting editor of the New York Evening Post, makes the following comment of the game in the Bowl Saturday:

"Credit for Yale's 6 to 3 defeat of Harvard at the Yale Bowl on Saturday is due first of all to the enlightened coaching which the Elis received in preparation for this game and secondly to the superb spirit of the men in blue which carried them individually and collectively, to heights of defensive and offensive football of which it is safe to say, the coaches of neither outfit believed them capable. Haughton has stated that he underestimated the Blue's attack and defence, while it may be presented as a fact that Tad Jones and his coadjutors had greater fear of the Crimson drive than circumstances were found to warrant. Harvard could not gain against Yale with any degree of consistency, while the New Haven team, with an equipment of only seven offensive plays, found the Cambridge combination vulnerable. The Blue out rushed her rival by a margin of 84 yards and her superiority in all methods of advancing the ball amounted to 58 yards. Despite this offensive advantage, however, the game was actually won and lost on the basis of Harvard's tendency toward illegal playing--off-side, holding and tripping--coupled with an extraordinary stroke of luck favoring the Elis. Of the one break against Yale Harvard took full advantage, Robinson's field goal coming directly as the result of improper handling of a punt by La Roche in the New Haven backfield. Casey's splendid run for a touchdown over a distance of 75 yards was nullified by the holding of a Yale player on the part of a Harvard man. Captain Dadmun says that the umpire who called the foul was unable to name the Harvard player who did the holding. This is not altogether surprising since the Harvard men were not numbered. I had my glasses on the play and saw the holding.

Holding Act of Arrant Folly.

"The act, aside from its illegality, was one of arrant folly, because the runner at the time was near the side line, practically free of all danger from the Yale left end, who had been boxed, and, as it seemed, required, no holding to keep him out of the play. The entire incident was a pitiful tragedy. Yale's touchdown followed an execrable fumble by a Yale back as he went into the line on a tackle play. The ball bounded from his arms and rolled forward into Harvard territory, finally bringing up at the feet of a Yale tackle, Gates, who had cut across the Harvard backfield from his position on the left side of the line. He came thus not through ball-following sense, but because the play required him to cut down the secondary; at all events, he picked up the leather and ran to the Crimson's 12-yard line, thence a touchdown was scored in eight plays. Yale's attack, which carried the ball over the goal line, was a splendid exhibition of lower and determination, while the Crimson's defence on her two-yard mark which compelled her opponents to exhaust four downs in covering the distance, matched the idomitable spirit displayed by the Blue. Until Yale fumbled and recovered. Harvard had outplayed her opponent, and the idea was growing has the sons of Eli were in for their fifth consecutive defeat. But this fortunate error, combined with the recall of Casey, seemed to take the drive out of the Cambridge machine, and play from then on found the Crimson pretty much on the defensive."

Casey's Run Brilliant Feature.

After praising the work of the Yale team, particularly the line which Captain Black held together so admirably, Mr. Perry comments as follows on the individual playing of the members of the University team:

"For Harvard Casey proved himself extremely able; his long run, foiled through no fault of his own, was the brilliant feature of the afternoon. Coolidge, I thought, was the best end on the field. Horween's clambering type of line plunging was a flat failure, but his punting was good. The remainder of the Harvard team were not up to the measure of their opponents, and all in all there were times when the famed Haughton machine moved with a dreadful drag. As for Yale, there have been many greater Eli elevens but none with better spirit and higher morale."

Gross Receipts $153,000.

The gross receipts of the game will be about $153,000 reckoned on a sale of 76,500 tickets at two dollars each. This total will be larger by $13,000 than the receipts at any game in the history of Yale football. The expense incurred in building the temporary seats and caring for the crowd, however, will probably bring the total net receipts down to a much lower figure than two years ago when the Bowl was christened. Sixteen thousand temporary seats will take $14,400 from the gross receipts and other expenses amounting to about $16,000 will leave a net total of $123,000 to be divided equally between the athletic associations of the University and Yale.

New Head at Haverford.

In regard to the resignation of President Sharpless, of Haverford College, the following extract from the Philadelphia Evening Ledger is of interest to members of the University since the first candidate mentioned, who is at present Dean of Haverford, is a member of the Class of 1900, and the second received the degree of Ph.D. from the University in 1904.

"The successor to Dr. Isaac Sharpless, president of Haverford College, whose resignation will take effect in June, may not be a Friend. For the first time in the history of the school founded 83 years ago, a man outside of the sect is being considered for the presidency. Two men that have been mentioned are Dr. Frederic Palmer, Professor of Physics at Haverford, and Dr. Richard Mott Gummere, Associate Professor of Latin.

"Dr. Palmer is a general campus favorite, and his appointment would be enthusiastically greeted by the boys, according to opinions given a reporter by many of them. He is related to the pioneer woman educator. Alice Freeman Palmer, famous president of Wellesley College.

"Dr. Richard Gummere is also a popular member of the faculty. He has been identified with Haverford College life for years. His father is Dr. Barton Gummere, Ph.D., LL.D., and Litt.D., Professor of English Literature at Haverford, and one of the leaders of the Friends' Society."