COMMITTEE DROPS FRESHMAN ADVICE ON CONCENTRATION

Existence of General Faculty Advice Renders System Futile--Is Useless Duplication of Effort

The Student Advisory Committee has decided not to continue this year the experiment tried for the first time last spring of furnishing advice to Freshmen on fields of concentration, it was learned yesterday from A.R. Sweezy '29, chairman of the committee.

It is felt that last year's arrangement was not productive of sufficient results to justify its continued operation this year, especially in consideration of the time which it required of Seniors already burdened with approaching divisional. Furthermore, it is believed that since Freshmen receive so much advice from other sources as to the nature of the different fields of concentration, more is not necessary, as the choice in any case rests largely on the Freshman's personal inclination.

Last year, under the management of T.H. Eliot '28, chairman of the Student Advisory Committee at that time, opportunity was furnished through the committee to all Freshmen, of obtaining information on their contemplated fields of concentration from Seniors and Juniors concentrating in the different fields. Thirty-five upperclassmen were appointed, who held office hours for all Freshmen who cared to see them, but the experiment was found to be not a success and will accordingly be discontinued.

Under present arrangements, Freshmen are to receive advice on concentration, not only from their particular Faculty adviser but also from other faculty members, representing the various divisions, to whom they may go for any information desired. In addition to this, the matter will be outlined in a general way by President Lowell, R.M. Eaton '17, and Delmar Leighton '19, speaking before the Freshmen next Thursday.