DRUNKEN ASSAULT

The report that the Dunster House janitor was assaulted by a drunken undergraduate is incredible. If the story is true, it is an example of star, bestial brutality which has fortunately had few precedents in College history. The police have an obligation to find such an individual and to ensure his adequate punishment in a court of law.

This case discloses the irresponsibility with which many undergraduates tackle the liquor question. While certain traditions at Harvard demand their quota of drinking, there is no tradition that obligates a student to become drunk at a public gathering, in mixed company, or at any occasion other than a completely private gathering. While none will dispute the accuracy of such a statement, there are many who develop amnesia when they are confronted with alcohol.

Past experience shows that the solution is not parietal regulations. Rather the solution is common sense, a necessary attribute of a gentleman. Saturday's drunk is not a gentleman, not are many others like him who behave just as badly, but who have the luck to avoid such acts of brutality.