Flood Averted For Cambridge

The Metropolitan District Comission reports there is no danger of floods in the University area. While up the Charles River in Dedham, streets lie under a blanket of water and many basements have become private wading pools, no flood crest is expected to breach the banks of the lower Charles.

Dedham's troubles may account for the relative safety of the Cambridge area. The low, flat land of Dedham forms a natural basin for overflow water, combining a large storage capacity with a slow rate of run-off. This factor, in addition to manipulation of flood locks in the lower Charles basin by the M.D.C., will dissipate all flood waters before they reach Cambridge.

Savings on Snow Removal

Cecil Roberts, superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, claims the record January rainfall will actually benefit the University by saving hundreds of dollars which would otherwise have to be spent on snow removal. He also said that the excessive precipitation had caused a slight water damage in the temporary Psychological Clinic at 36-42 De Wolfe Street. The Kirkland House basement has also suffered from seepage.

Roberts said that as long as the rain continues in a slow drizzle, he hopes it rains all winter. The last time the University suffered any serious damage from water, he stated, was after a hurricane.