FRESHMAN ELEVEN FAST DEVELOPING TEAM PLAY

HOLD PRACTICE UNDER STADIUM

Signal practice under the Stadium constituted the workout yesterday for the Freshman first squad. Coach Ryan gave his men a few minutes' scrimmaging on the field to accustom them to slippery ground and a wet ball, but most of the practice was occupied with dummy work under shelter from the drizzle.

With Wednesday's scrimmage against Boston University, a manifest change was observed in the Yearlings. The return of E. L. Gehrke to the backfield was apparent as soon as the team line up. Kehrke's splendid kicking and slashing drives supplied the missing factor in the Freshmen's offiense. With Gehrke and P. Jenkins, a strong running attack is fast shaping, guided by J. J. Lee, whose judgment in Wednesday's scrimmage showed vast improvement. With this formidable combination appears L. Lockwood, a new-comer raised from the ranks. Lockwood first showed up in the second team's scrimmage with Rindge on Tuesday. He continues to display the consistent ability that distinguished him then, and will probably be a fixture as halfback until T. M. Carnegie returns. In fact Carnegie, who will be back for the Princeton game, will have to extend himself to beat out Lockwood, if the latter keeps up at the pace he has set.

Pantaleoni at Left Wing

Another interesting shift in the line-up was observed at left end, where R. Pantaleoni seems to have usurped the position from W. E. Gates, regular wingman. Pantaleoni was substituted in the Exeter game, and did so well that he again appeared on Team A against B. U. Until last week he had been with the second squad, but now he has earned a claim as the teammate of L. C. Larrabee. Most noticeable of all, however, was the decided difference in the Freshmen's work as a team. Interference was more certain, more linesmen crashed through on the offense, and the whole eleven had more finish than it has had this season.

Team B, which was given a chance against B. U. Wednesday after the first team had scored, also showed marked progress. An effective serial game was opened by by J. E. Merrill, now back at quarter, and P. E. Sprague, substitute end. This is the Freshmen's first success with an open game, and it carried them down the field several times, though B. U. was able to buck up and prevent scoring. K. S. Pfaffman, running back of Team B, made several tearing gains of considerable distance. Pfaffman runs very fast and hard, and is a difficult man to stop. If able to play in the later season games, he should figure heavily in the 1924 attack.

All the injured men are expected back in time for the Princeton contest November 6.