Good Conditions Help Crew to Bust Lake Cayuga 2-Mile Record Twice

Heavy crews will be able to go to Red Top June 7 with the satisfaction of having finished their regular season by disintegrating two records on Lake Cayuga while they swept a regatta with Cornell Saturday.

First the J.V. abolished the old Cayuga record by rowing the two mile course in 10:23. Then the varsity snuffed out the newly set time by rowing the same distance in 10:13. Very favorable conditions, mostly in the form of a following wind, helped the Crimson set the new marks.

For the varsity, its defeat of the Big Red by three lengths was a pleasant change of form from its loss to Yale May 19 in the E.A.R.C. sprint championships. Apparently the substitution of Link Boyden and Steve Hedberg for Jim Slocum and Ted Anderson gave the boat the smoothness it has occasionally been lacking this season.

Form Was Lacking

Both Slocum and Anderson are more powerful men than their successors but it has been form trouble Father than power deficiency which has cost the Crimson dearly in its unexpected losses to Princeton and Yale.

But the varsity never had to fight in its race Saturday and since most of its form difficulty this season has come in the sprint, the Cornell race doesn't prove conclusively whether Bolles changes cured what has been ailing the oaramen.

Bolles now has two weeks at Red Top to juggle the crews for the coming Yale four-mile race on the Thames on June 33.