HANDS ACROSS THE STADIA

Although it is a sad commentary upon the gigantic importance which the scheduling of a football game bears in municipal politics and in the day's news, the protestations over the recently prohibited Dartmouth-Stanford game have at least brought results. The withdrawal of objections to the contest by both the Boston College Alumni authorities and Mayor Curley is evidence that after a consideration of the issues involved a sane decision has been reached.

There is no need for a eulogy of any of the people who have made the concession. The banning of the game in the first place was ill-considered and can hardly be called less so in the light of succeeding developments. The withdrawing of the objections to the game was the proper move to make and it is welcomed by all who have the interest of collegiate sports at heart. It is hardly necessary to say that all of the five institutions concerned approve the quick and graceful manner in which Boston College and the Mayor have seen and mended the error of their way.

Although Harvard stayed out of the controversy as much as was possible under the circumstances, the work of William J. Bingham, Director of Athletics, in bringing all parties amiably to a good understanding is commendable. Mr. Bingham has almost always taken a most sensible view of college athletics, and this is one more instance of his adept handling. Boston is considerably more than what used to be known as a "one-horse town", and it may safely be presumed that it is more than a "one-football-game town."