HARVARD, 11; WILLIAMS, 0.

Twice Williams Nearly Scores.--Ragged Playing by Harvard Team

The University football team began the Harvard football season, Saturday, by defeating the Williams eleven on Soldiers Field by a score of 11 to 0. That the result of the game was not reversed was due more to the failure of the Williams team to make full use of its opportunities than to any good playing by the Harvard eleven. Williams was ragged in both offensive and defensive work, but even with such a weak team several times forced Harvard to punt and made two long end runs, one of which almost resulted in a touchdown. With the ball on the five-yard line, another chance to score was lost when an easy try for a field-goal was missed. All the scoring was done in the first half and both touchdowns were made after Harvard had obtained the ball within 25 yards of the Williams goal. In the second half Harvard was at no time nearer to a touchdown than the Williams forty-five yard line.

The game showed clearly a number of important faults in the Harvard team. On line plays, the backs, instead of finding the holes made for them, almost invariably ran into their own interference and, where otherwise long gains might have resulted, were satisfied with advances of a yard or two. On end plays this same fault was sometimes noticeable, but more frequently the tendency was not to follow the interference closely enough during the first part of the play; the slow forming of the interference may have invited the backs to branch out in this way for themselves, but even granting this they should not have been so absolutely helpless when left alone. One of the most discouraging features of the play was the remarkable inability of the ends and rush-line halfbacks to stop simple end runs. That this was the first game of the season is not a sufficient excuse for such miserable playing as that which allowed a not over-strong backfield, with practically no interference, to pass the ends almost at will. The generalship of the team was also poor. Against opponents so unskilled in handling punts, a kicking game might have been adopted to much greater advantage.

Motley and Percival, ends, were very ineffective both in tackling and in getting down under punts Knowles at halfback showed little judgment in running with the ball and was practically useless on the defence. King played ably at centre and Bleakie, who relieved Force at right guard, made some good openings. Meier played a strong all-round game and prevented a number of long gains by timely tackles.

The first touchdown was scored in about three minutes of play. On Harvard's kick-off, Peabody carried the ball in for twenty yards before he was stopped on Williams's twenty-five yard line. The ball was immediately lost to Harvard on downs, however, and by means of short rushes through tackle was soon forced over the line for a touchdown. Marshall missed the goal. After the next kick-off, Harvard made short gains to the centre of the goal. After the next kick-off, Harvard made short gains to the centre of the field, where Williams made a stand. Leatherbee punted to quarterback Williams, who fumbled and Meier fell on the ball on the twenty-five yard line. Again line plunges brought the ball to the two yard line and Meier carried it over. This time Marshall kicked the goal.

In the second half, after Tenney had made twenty-five yards through left tackle, Knowles lost the ball on a fumble at the centre of the field. An exchange of punts gave Harvard an advantage of 15 yards. On the next play, however, Watson broke clear of the scrimmage and, passing around Harvard's right end ran down the clear field. It seemed impossible to prevent a touchdown, but on Harvard's thirty-five yard line, Daly, who was playing back, made a diving tackle and stopped the runner. Williams, finding Harvard's weak place, soon sent Gutterson around Percival's end. Again Daly was the only man to prevent a score. Gutterson avoided the tackle but was tripped, and several Harvard players caught him just before he reached the goal-line. Williams was unable to penetrate Harvard's line and a try for a goal was made. The pass was too low and Watson kicked the ball into the line.

The line-ups: HARVARD.  WILLIAMS. Burgess, Percival, l.e.  r.e., Vose. Wright, l.t.  r.t., Hatch (captain). Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Dennett. King, c.  c., Murray, Cooper. Force, Bleakie, r.g.  l.g., Hoffman. Knowlton, Mills, r.t.  l.t., Jones. Bowditch, Motley, Jones, r.e.  l.e., Newell. Marshall, Daly, q.b.  q.b., Williams. Lindsay, Knowles, McGlenzy, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Watson. Leatherbee, Tenney, Sard, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Gutterson. Meier, Piper. f.b.  f.b., Peabody, Durfee.

Score -- Harvard, 11; Williams, 0. Touchdowns--Leatherbee, Meier. Goal from touchdown--Marshall. Umpire--J. Lawrence '01. Referee--R. Brown '98. Timekeeper--John Graham, of B. A. A. Linesmen -- Graydon, of Harvard, and Kennedy, of Williams. Time--10-minute halves.