LAST OF '46 REGISTERS THIS MORNING IN YARD

Small Group to Run Gamut in Boylston

Harvard today welcomes the last 85 members of perhaps the strangest class in the history of the College. When the new members of 1946 register today they will find that they are one full academic year behind the June section, and one-half year behind the September group.

Besides being the first class in history to register in mid-winter the incoming group will also be the first class in recent years not to register in huge Memorial Hall. Resurrected and heated, the Boylston Reading Room is to be the scene of their signing in, as Mem Hall will be occupied by Friday morning exam takers.

According to Dean Delmar Leighton '19, the 85 have all completed their secondary education and for the most part are men who were admitted either in June or September, but for various reasons could not enter at that time. Geographically, the new group is well spread out over the country, but with heavy representation from the West.

Of the 85 who will register, 65 will go directly into the Houses, as did those who entered in June. The remaining 20 fall into the commuter class and will operate from Dudley Hall, leaving approximately nine new Freshmen to go into each of the seven Houses.

Smaller than either of the present two sections of the Freshman Class, the new members will have a wider range of studies open to them than have most other Freshman classes, with middle group subjects having been opened to them in certain cases. No change has been made for the newcomers, however, in the field of physical training and although they will not have to begin picking up credits until February 8, after that time they will have to do their four a week.

After completing the ritual of registration, certain of the new Freshmen will have to cope with the usual English A exemption test, and the placement tests in Chemistry and Physics, as well as one in French. At 7:30 o'clock they will attend a reception in the Kirkland House Common Room where they will hear Dr. Richard A. Gummere '07, Dean Paul H. Buck '27 and Col. Phelps Fox, who is head of the Signal Corps School in the Boston area.