Leighton Names Faculty Members To Guide Next Year's Freshmen

"Associates" Advise Officials on Freshman Matters--Men Will Confer With Instructors

Plans for the Freshman year of 1931-32 were announced this morning by Delmar Leighton '17, who will be Dean of Freshman. They include the appointment of twelve Faculty members who will be known as "Associates of the Freshmen", and the choice of eight instructors in Freshman courses to reside in the Yard.

"Associates"

The "Associates of the Freshmen" will advise and consult with administrative officers on matters relating to the Freshmen, especially on questions of instruction.

The group includes:

L. B. R. Briggs '75, Professor Emeritus, and former Dean of Harvard College; R. S. Hillyer '17, assistant professor of English; Leigh Hoadley, professor of Zoology; A. N. Holcombe, professor of Government; F. W. C. Lieder, associate professor of German; Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology; L. S. Mayo '10, assistant dean of Graduate School of Arts and Sciences; R. B. Merriman '96, professor of History; Henry Pennypacker '88, Chairman of Committee on Admissions; F. W. Taussig '79, professor of Economics; R. DeC. Ward '89, professor of Climatology, and present chairman of the Board of Freshman Advisers; A. F. Whittem '02, associate professor of Romance Languages.

Freshman Instructors

The instructors in Freshman courses who will reside in the Yard will take most of their meals in the Freshman Dining Halls and will have stated periods when they are available in their rooms for conferences with first year men. They will be members of the Board of Freshman Advisers and, in addition to a number of graduate students still to be appointed, will act as over two years ago this Spring when the Indians and the West Coast college were making up their schedules. Dartmouth went out to Palo Alto this past season and it was understood that the Cardinals would come to Cambridge the following year. Mayor Curley's statement forbidding the game was made on April 10 last when he said that he thought that holding the game here was interfering with the B. C.-H. C. tilt.

With yesterday's developments, however, everything is as before again. Dartmouth and Stanford will play their game in Cambridge while Boston College and Holy Cross will play their game at Fenway Park. There has been some talk of moving this latter contest to Fitton Field, Worcester, the home grounds of the Crusaders, but the probability of that move is remote.

Bingham Pleased

The statement made by Bingham, which officially allows the two universities to use the Harvard Stadium, expresses the feeling that the Harvard athletic director is glad that the controversy has come to an amiable close. The statement follows in full:

I have been informed of a letter written me today by His Honor, Mayor Curley, in reference to the Dartmouth-Stanford game which originally was scheduled to be played in the Harvard Stadium on November 28, 1931, subject to the approval of the mayor of Boston. Since His Honor has approved, the Stadium will be available for Dartmouth and Stanford of that day. I am happy that arrangements have been made which are satisfactory to the authorities at Boston College and Dartmouth.

Wouldn't Disappoint Fans

Following is the letter sent by McLaughlin to the mayor:

His Honor, James M. Curley,

I have just had a conference with William J. Bingham, Director of Athletics at Harvard, and Harry R. Heneage, Supervisor of Athletics at Dartmouth. Both Mr. Bingham and Mr. Heneage express to me their sincere regrets that the scheduling of the Stanford-Dartmouth game at the Harvard Stadium has created a situation which under any circumstances might prove embarrassing to Boston College. They both assured me that if the question of interference with the annual Holy Cross-Boston College game had occurred to them the matter would have been handled in a way which would have prevented the present unfortunate conflict.

The Boston College Alumni Association feels that rather than deprive lovers of football of an opportunity to witness this classic that under all circumstances it would be well if Dartmouth and Stanford were allowed to play at the Harvard Stadium on November 28, 1931.

I therefore request that Your Honor reconsider the decision which you announced in your letter to Mr. Bingham under the date of April 10, 1931.  Respectfully yours,  Edward A. McLaughlin, J.  President, B. C. Alumni.

"All's Well--"

A copy of McLaughlin's letter was sent by the mayor to Bingham with the following letter appended:

My Dear Mr. Bingham.

I am in receipt of the accompanying communication this day, which I beg to forward herewith, submitted by the president of the Boston College Alumni in which he states that the Boston College Alumni Association is agreeable to the game which Dartmouth and Stanford Universities desire to play at the Harvard Stadium on November 28, 1931. The action as taken by the Boston College Alumni is both sportsman-like and commendable and objection by them to the holding of the game having been withdrawn I know of no reason why I should withhold approval. You are at liberty to inform President A. Lawrence Lowell of Harvard and the presidents of Dartmouth and Stanford universities as to the decision arrived at.  Respectfully yours,  James M. Curley.