Marshall Sees Danger to Europe In Conference Failure, Condemns Russian Policy on German Treaty

Marshall Speech

WASHINGTON, April 28--Secretary of State Marshall, reporting to the nation last night on the Moscow conference, said Premier Stalin told him that "compromises were possible on all the main questions" of a German peace Settlement.

Despite the failure of the four Foreign Ministers to agree on major issues, Marshall advised that "possibly greater progress towards final settlement was made than was realized."

Marshall warned, however, that "disintegrating forces are becoming evident in Europe" and that "the patient is sinking while the doctors deliberate."

Blaming Russia for most of the disagreements at the conference, Marshall said:

"Agreement was made impossible at Moscow because, in our view, the Soviet Union insisted upon proposals which would have established in Germany a centralized Government adapted to the seizure of absolute control a country which would be boomed economically through inadequate are and excessive population and would be mortgaged to turn over a large part of its production as reparation, principally to the Soviet Union.

"Such a plan, in the opinion of the United States delegation, not only involved indefinite American subsidy, but could result only in deteriorating economic life in Germany and Europe and the inevitable emergence of dictatorship and strife."

In another sharp criticism of Russia, Marshal said that at Moscow "propaganda appeals to passion and prejudice appeared to take the place of appeals reason and understanding."

Marshall advised in his detailed report his first major address since he became secretary of State in January-that "We must not compromise on great principles in order to achieve agreement for agreement's sake."

But also, he said, "We must sincerely try to understand the point of view of those with whom we differ."