Mower Takes Freshman Touch Title; Beats Matthews South by One Score

Mower Hall won the freshman touch football title yesterday, topping Matthews South, champion of the National League, 20 to 13, in the playoff game. Mower had previously won the American League championship.

Both Mower and Matthews South finished their regular league play undefeated. Mower had a perfect record of nine wins, no losses, and no ties, but Matthews South sported a tie with last place Dudley to spell its perfect record.

Runners-up in the National League were Lionel with six wins, two losses, and a tie, and Wigglesworth West with five wins, three losses, and tie. Grays did not enter a team in the league.

Stoughton gave Mower its closest competition, finishing its season with a six wins, two losses, and one tie record.

Steve Hockhouser sparked the Matthews team at the quarterback position. He passed end Bob German for most of the team's scores. Other standouts for the Matthews squad were John Uzielli, Larry Davee, Lenny Levin and John Dreyfuss.

Mike Kulukondis, manager and star passer, was the main cog in the Mower attack. Others outstanding on the championship squad were Guy Barrow, Richard-Corbell, Bruce William,s Don Pfarrer, Bob Byrd, Bob Ogden, and Barry Linde.

Both Mower and Matthews South were scheduled to play teams from the Yale freshman touch football leagues. Only Matthews South played, however, tying North Middle 6 to 6.

Mower was to have played a team from South Unit, but the Yale team forfeited the game.

The Matthews South-North Middle game was the first play-off game between the Yardling champions and the champions from Yale. The dean's office and the union Committee appropriated board and room funds for the visitors.