NINE MEN GET BOWDOIN AND GARRISON AWARDS

R. W. DAFFINE '24 WINS WITH POEM ON MUSSOLINI

Nine awards to graduate and undergraduate students of the University were announced last night by the various faculty committees in charge of the award of the James Bowdoin and the Lloyd McKim Garrison prizes for which competitions have been held during the winter.

Thirty-six essays, sixteen by graduate students and twenty by undergraduates, were considered by the committee charged with awarding the Bowdoin prizes for dissertations in English, and five such awards are announced, together with nine honorary mentions.

In the undergraduate group Jay C. Allen Jr., of Seattle, Washington, a special student, received the first prize of $260 for his "A Paper on the Skeptic Mood of Michel de Montaigne." Second prizes of $100 each were awarded Allen G. Harper OcC., of Patterson, N. J., for his essay on "The Political Activities of Italians in the United States," and Edward C. Aswell '26, of Nashville, Tenn., for his essay, "The Influence of Ernest Renan upon Religious Reform." Honorable mention for their essays were given Fred S. Tupper '26, of Minneapolis, Minn., Bernard Vorhaus '25, of New York City, Carl J. Wennerblad '24, of Everett, Arthur L. Sherin '24, of Swampecott, and to John Bird '24, Davison scholar, from the Channel Isles, Great Britain and Trinity College, Oxford.

Graduate Students Win Bowdoin Prizes

Two Bowdoin prizes of $200 each were awarded to students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Harry H. Clark 1G., of Waterbury, Conn. receiving one for his essay entitled "The Romanticism of Edward Young," and Frederick B. Artz 4G., of Dayton, Ohio, winning the other with his essay "Marsiglio of Padus and his Place in the History of Political Philosophy." Graduate students who received honorable mention were Edwin Miner Wright 2G., of Rochester, N. Y.; Morris Roberts 2G., of St. Paul. Minn.; Dison Hseuh-feng Poe 1G., of Kiangsu, China; and Dudley Tyng 10G., of Providence, R. I.

These prizes were founded by the bequest of Governor James Bowdoin who received his A.B. degree at Harvard in 1745, and were increased in 1901 by George S. Bowdoin.

The Awards Made in Classics

Three additional Bowdoin prizes in the Classics were awarded as follows: Warren G. Blake 4G., of Newton, for an original essay in Latin. "De Ironia Comica," and two prizes for translations into Greek and Latin respectively, to Frederick LaM. Santee '24, of Wapwallopes, Pa. Honorable mentions were won by E. M. Bailen '26, of Dorcester, and H. B. Hoffleit '24, of Cambridge.

The Lloyd McKim Garrison Prize, founded by the Class of 1888, in memory of their classmate for the best poem on a given subject, was won by Ralph W. Daffine '24, of Barre, Vt. for his poem on "Mussolini."