Orators Meet Edward Quinn Team in Debate Over WNAC

Harvard Upholds Affirmative Side of Pension Issue

Broadcasting from station WNAC yesterday afternoon, two members of the Debating Council met representatives of the Edward Quinn Debating Society in an hour's discussion on the subject, "Resolved: That generous pensions be given by the federal government to the aged."

Defending the affirmative, Victor H. Kramer '35 and W. Tucker Dean '37 represented the Crimson; while John F. Carr '28 and Francis Casey argued for the negative.

The affirmative contended that the old age pension is a social problem, demanding immediate action. Continuing, they pointed out that the federal government is the only institution capable of handling such a vast undertaking.

On the other hand, the negative argued that such, a pension would be little more than a dole, which the government could not undertake at this time and which should not be handled nationally, but locally by the individual state.

The greatest objection to the pension, they concluded, is that it would become a political football, another vote getting proposition.

Yesterday's debate concluded a long series of debates held this term, many of which were broadcast. Activities, for the Spring will be strenuous, with tryouts for the Hawaiian and the Harvard-Yale-Princeton debates scheduled for the first evening after the Spring recess.