P. S. SEELEY DECLARES ALL EVIL IS UNREAL

Prominent Lecturer on Christian Science Maintains That "Evil, Discord, Sin and Disease Have No Relation With God or His Perfect Creation.

Yesterday afternoon at the Phillips Brooks House, Paul Stark Seeley, C.S.B., a Princeton graduate and the holder of an LL.B. degree from the University lectured on Christian Science.

"As a great statesman has said, "began Mr. Seeley, "the work of uniting the nations in the band of brotherhood is an effort to enthrone the conscience of the world. This universal consciousness of right and good," he continued, "discerned and obeyed in ever increasing measure, in its unfoldment is 'God with us', the Mind of absolute good. Job discerned this incorporeal and unlimited sense of God, speaking of Him as being in one Mind, while Christ called this parent intelligence Father and Spirit. John, regarding the kindness, mercy and protection of the Father Mind spoke of him as Love. 'God is Love; and he that dwelleth in (thinks in ideas of) love dwelleth in God, and God in him'. Man, then, recognized as the creature of Mind, is simply in an individual state of right-mindedness always thinking in accord with God, the true mind. He is the 'compound idea of God including all right ideas'."

Materialistic Theories Incorrect

Referring to the doctrine of organic evolution, Mr. Seeley asked, "Where do wisdom, intelligence, charity and love come from?" Even though one be satisfied with materialistic theories in explanation of the mass of matter termed a body, that explanation falls as to what the world honors most, namely the mental and spiritual qualities of man. Isalah admonished, 'Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils, for wherein is he to be accounted off?' In other words, stop thinking of the mortal, material sense of man as the true man, for there is absolutely no way to account for him as a creature of God.

"Christian Science regards as real only that which can be attributed to God, the only real cause, precluding any effect from any other cause. Evil, discord, sin and disease have no relation with God or his perfect creation, hence are unreal. All mankind, striving to be rid of evil, instinctively repudiates it in their thought as being unnatural, hence in the last analysis unreal. Though very real to the material sense, sin, sickness and discord, judged in the light of the spiritual sense of being which overrules and transcends material sense, are seen to be false claims about true life and existence.

Evil a False Belief

"Evil, then, is a false belief. For every fact one may suppose its opposite lie. The sum of evil is the lie about God, universal good. This lie ceases to have recognition or place when the truth is realized. Hence Jesus, calling evil a liar, pointed out liberation, saying, 'Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free'. This brief statement completely summarizes Christian Science practice and is the law directing all human progress.

"We have awakened to the unreality of one concept, as old as the human species, namely that of autocracy, in its aggressive political phases. Therefore every one should awaken to the unreality of every evil concept, all sin and disease, and cast it out of his consciousness. God is not on the side of cancer or influenza any more than of autocracy. Even greater than our right to political self-government is our right and ability to resist and overthrow the attempts of evil to rule us boldly and mentally."