Popular Economist Attacks "Unscientific" Trend Here

Head of New Institute to Spread Information on Economics Hits Hansen, Others

Students with financial worries might find a panaces in the economic brain-trust which has recently settled near the College, the American Institute for Economics Research.

During the summer this organization moved into its present quarters at 54 Dunster Street, the former Theta Delta Chi House, which has been vacant for the last ten years.

Only six years old, it was founded for the purpose of spreading practical economic information to the ordinary citizen, and is entirely independent of Harvard or any other university.

Harwood is Chairman

Chairman of the organization is E. C. Harwood, former professor of economics at M. I. T. In two of the recent book-review supplements which the Institute prints regularly, Harwood takes issue with several publications by Harvard professors.

Criticizing "Full Recovery or Stagnation," by Alvin H. Hansen, Lucius N. Littauer Professor of Political Economics in the Graduate School of Public Administration, Harwood says in a recent publication: "It is typical of the work done by a minority of the academic economists. No doubt, they sincerely believe that they have adopted the scientific method, but they seem to apply it in reverse."

Charges Fallacies

He is equally critical of "An Economic Program for American Democracy," by Richard V. Gilbert '23, former instructor in Economics here; George H. Hildebrand, Jr.; Arthur W. Stuart; Maxine Yaple Sweezy; Paul M. Sweezy '32, instructor in Economics; and John D. Wilson, instructor in Economics. He charges that these authors have shown a complete lack of the scientific method and have committed many obvious fallacies.