REVIEW OF FALL ROWING

More Men Reported Than Last Year.--Work of University Crews.

Fall rowing for this year has ended and the floats at the boat houses have been taken up. During the season more men have been on the river than in any previous year, owing to the new system of bumping races, which gave every man an opportunity to row for the sake of the sport. Two University crews have been out every day except Saturday, one Freshman crew, and an average of 15 dormitory eights.

On October 3 about 16 men reported at the University Boat Club and were given light work in sculling under the supervision of Coach Wray and Captain Filley. A temporary first crew was formed, and on the following day a second crew went out. The order of these two crews, however, was at no time fixed, but practice in various combinations was held in order to prove which was most effective. At the beginning of of the year the squad was made up of the following men, the first eight in order rowing on the first crew: Filley, Newhall, Bacon, Richardson, Fish, Fahnestock, Tappan, Burchard, Morgan, Amberg, Glass, Warren, Emmons, Corlett, Gill, Wiggins. These crews reported every day except Saturday, until November 9. Special attention has been given to the individual men, but an effort has also been made to choose as a whole the most likely crew for next spring. The work has been of an easy nature, and no races have been held. Seven of the men from last year's University and four-oar crews will be able to row in the spring. Last year's Freshman crew will also furnish valuable material.

Owing to the large number of Freshmen rowing on the dormitory crews, only enough men reported to form two crews. One eight rowed in a barge every afternoon, but the work was very rudimentary. In order to develop a strong crew in the spring it will be necessary for more men to report at the first practice on the machines.

The new system of dormitory crews, inaugurated this year, proved very successful. Sixteen crews in all, with an average of 15 daily, rowed for a period of five weeks. At the end of this time the three day bumping races were found to be a very satisfactory way of showing the relative strength of the crews, and had the advantage of allowing every crew to row every day, even when beaten. Besides being a pleasure to the men involved, the races were of value to the University, for the coaches have watched the work of each man, and it is probable that several will be taken up to the University rowing squad as a result of this series.