ROTC ENROLLMENT UP 25 PERCENT AS RESULT OF CRISIS

Only 296 Took Military Training Last Year--Barker Heads NROTC; Jay New ROTC Commander

One immediate result of the present war is approximately a 25 percent increase in the total enrollment of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps here and an equal increase in the number of Freshmen who have applied for admission in the Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps, it was learned yesterday.

Three hundred and sixty-five men have already signed up for Military Science and there probably will be a few more enrollments within the next few days, Lieutenant-Colonel Henry D. Jay, the new commanding officer of the Harvard ROTC unit, said yesterday. Only 296 students took Military Science last year.

NROTC Over-Applied

Limited by the National Defense Act to a total enrollment of 200 men, the Naval Science Department has found it impossible to provide for the large number of Freshmen who applied. One hundred and eighty-seven Yardlings have indicated a desire for Naval Science training, while the Corps can only accept 57. Eighteen other Freshmen will be permitted to sit in on ROTC classes and can join the unit when and if other students drop out.

The great increase in the number of students who want military or naval training has been attributed by University officials to a growing fear that this country will be involved in the war. As one member of the ROTC staff put it. "If you're going to fight, you might just as well be an officer."

New Commanding Officers

Both the ROTC and the NROTC have new commanding officers. New heading the Naval Science Department is Captain George N. Barker, who relieved Captain Chester H. J. Keppler this summer. In the Military Science Department, Lieutenant Henry D. Jay holds the position held by Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur R. Harris last year.