SGROOGE OF HARVARD

On the subject of boardwalks and their first appearance the less said is undoubtedly the better, and further comment must be reserved until that distant period, which contrary to Shelley is far behind, when the dull thud of weather-beaten wood yields once more to the firm crunching of the ground along the paths in the Yard. They are the inevitable signs that the place is digging in for the winter and preparing to stand its annual siege; that the months are on the way when movies orchestras play southern melodies, when impressionable students consider the South Seats and still more impressionable students consider the ant and study for divisionals.

Meanwhile the squirrels, as if delighting in the approaching opportunity to display their fur coats, show a disheartening industry; climbing four flights up the ivy-covered walls of an unattractive dormitory to seize walnuts, doubtless decayed, which an undergraduate has placed upon his window-still; the Co-op spends part of the members' dividends in the very cheeriest of Christmas decorations; thus honoring a fest which, in view of the Reading Period beyond, takes on the gala aspect of the Mask of the Red Death; and Cambridge, for those who are not native to the neighborhood, draws closer and closer to the tag end of creation. The boardwalks are here, and if the dull thud resounds across the frozen grass like the crack of doom, readers of the Transcript may learn that soon it will be muffled by the snow.