SKATERS CROWD ARENA ICE IN HOCKEY WORKOUT

SQUAD OF 50 REPORTS TO COACH JOSEPH STUBBS; 20

The Harvard hockey squad began its season in earnest yesterday afternoon when the first real workout of the season was held on the ice of the Boston Arena. Daily practice on the Arena surface will be held from now on until the Crimson opens its campaign to retain its mythical championship honors of last winter on December 9 against M. I. T.

Although Coach Joseph Stubbs '20 has only five lettermen for a nucleus around which to build up this winter's sextet, there are a number of first rate players on the squad of 50 to make up for the losses suffered by graduation last June. No regular combinations will be formed until after the first few days of conditioning work, but it is highly probable that late this week or early in the next week a short scrmmage will be held and tentative sextets formed. A cut within the next day or so to reduce the squad to within workable limits is expected.

Besides Captain J. P. Chase '28, the lettermen available include Willard Howard '28, a defense man, John Tudor '29, a forward and Joseph Morrill '28 and F. W. W. Adams '28, both excellent goalies.

Among the players who, regarded from the point of view of past records, are most likely to win places on the University sextet are W. G. Saltonstall '28, who captained his Freshman team, F. R. G. Giddens '29, A. S. Bigelow '29, and H. W. Bigelow '29, all of whom showed promise in their first year at Harvard.