Statehood for Ohio?

The prospering Territory of Ohio, bounded by Pennsylvania on the east and Indiana on the west, wishes to gain entrance into the United States. Long isolated amid friendly but more favored neighboring States, Ohio Territory might be a valuable asset to the Union. But before taking action on the far-reaching proposal, Congress must carefully consider the possible drawbacks of a potential 48th State.

George H. Bender, Ohio's representative in the House, claims that the territory is a State in every sense but the law. In 1803, Congress id not complete the admission process: Bender interprets this not as a deliberate refusal of admittance, but as a more oversight. Using this questionable argument, he has gained many supporters for the bill, and unless strong opposition arises, he may well geamroller the resolution through Congress.

Opposition to Hawaii and Alaska, the other statehood aspirants, has centered on two points. Both will strongly favor Civil Rights legislation, and are therefore undesirable to Republican factions. Secondly, their interior business interests are controlled largely by companies in the United States. Congress has also some fear of the Communist Labor Unions in Hawaii.

Under these criteria, Ohio looks hardly more appealing. Although probably not partial to Civil Rights legislation, the extra-territorial ownership problem is large in Ohio. Duped investors and business interests have poured capital into the Territory since 1803. As for radical Labor Unions, the United Electrical Workers have a strong bloc in the industrial areas.

Ohio thus has little priority in choice for Statehood than is two rivals. Of course, central location is a big factor, for closing the gap between the Atlantic Seaboard and the Pacific frontier has always been an ardent hope for all Americans. But a hasty decision based merely on location may lead to disagreement and possible civil dissentation. Only through the reports of investigating parties can Congress accurately study and legislate the tricky problem of Ohio an Statehood.