Strachey Damns Fascism, Upholds Communism, Feels Complimented That U.S. Has Noticed Him

Deportee of the Moment Declaims to Sympathetic Audience In Ford Hall

Branding Huey Long and Father Coughlin as embodying the characteristics of fascism, John Strachey, America's deportee of the hour stood before an approving audience at Ford Hall, Boston, last night.

"Fascism makes simulated attacks on bankers, advocates extreme nationalism without international cooperation, demonstrates jingo characteristics, and maintains that striking and locking out be abolished," Mr. Strachey said. "But the fascist really is in league with the capitalist, for having abolished strikes there is naturally no reason for lookouts since the capitalist can impose what wages he wishes without fear of a strike."

The speaker gave evidence that capitalist vehicles such as radio and press are put at the disposal of the fascist to show that there was concord between these two classes. "If Long comes into power," he said "the radical mask will come off to show the face of capitalism, but the worker is allowed to speak only so long as nobody can hear what he says. Fascism has the mask of radicalism but the face of William Randolph Hearst."

Defending the communist party, Strachey denied that the adherents ever advocated violence. "They may predict a violent transition from capitalism when the economic situation becomes worse as a result of the acute pressure or fear of hunger and homelessness, but they hope for the opposite and make these predictions with the aim of avoiding such a situation."

He likened his party's teachings to the reports of the weather bureau which predicts a storm so that the people may protect themselves from it. "Those wanting to go to the country that day do not rush to the weather bureau in rage claiming the bureau advocates a storm," he remarked, "neither should they do the same thing when the Communists prophesy."

Regarding the recent action against him by the U. S. Immigration officials, Strachey pointed out that there was nothing in the red tape necessary to enter America which precluded his lecturing, and that he was upheld in his views by his attorneys and the Civil Liberties Union.

He remarked that he was "complimented that after giving 67 lectures in the United States, and after having published four books, that his "least attentive audience had finally become aware that he held communistic views."