SUCKLEY KILLED BY BOMB

DIED AT SALONIKA

A cable from General Sarrail, commanding the Allied troops at Salonika, was received in New York last Tuesday announcing the death of Lieutenant Henry Montgomery Suckley '10, of Section 10 in the American Ambulance Field Service. The cable, sent through the headquarters in Paris, reads as follows:

"Suckley was seriously wounded by an airplane bomb yesterday, and died this morning. He is proposed for the Legion of Honor."

Suckley was born in Orange, N. J., 30 years ago, and was a son of Robert B. Suckley, of Rhinebeck, N. Y. Shortly after the beginning of the war he volunteered in the American Ambulance and served with Section 3 in the Vosges Mountains through the winter of 1915. For bravery in action during the intense attack executed by the Germans in this region, lasting over a month, he was awarded the Croix de Guerre and promoted to sous-lieutenant under Lovering Hill '10, his classmate at the University. In this capacity Suckley served with Section 3 at Malzeville, Verdun and Port-a-Mousson, distinguishing himself at all times by his executive ability and coolness under shell-fire. Philip Cate '15, Paul Tison '18 and Walter H. Wheeler, Jr., '18, all now in the University, worked with him in Section 3.

Last September Suckley returned to this country for the purpose of organizing and recruiting a new section for the Ambulance, which he subsequently did, getting 20 ambulances from the New York Stock Exchange.

On his return to France in November he was made lieutenant of the section and was immediately detailed to the Service in Salonika, along with his old Section 3 of the American Ambulance. It was while on duty here that he met his death.