Swimmers to Meet Navy

By Philip M. Boffey

A swimming team which is relatively weak by recent standards should score its fourth straight victory of the year at Annapolis this Saturday.

The Naval Academy team is not exceptionally poor--certainly not the push-over Penn and M.I.T. proved to be--but it lacks the balance and depth to compete successfully against the Crimson.

The Middies are strong in four events. They have a good sophomore diver in Tom O'Brien, a good backstroker in Griff "Guppy" Greer, a good 220-man in junior Bob Seres, and they can put together a strong 400-yard freestyle relay team.

In the dive the Crimson should be able to hold its own. Frank Gorman, an NCAA dive finalist last year and undefeated this season, must be slightly favored over O'Brien, while Greg Stone should be good for a third.

But in Navy's other three strong events, Harvard rates an underdog by the slightest of margins. Greer's times for the 200-yard backstroke have been in the 2:18's and 2:19's, as compared with the 2:19 capability of the Crimson's Bill Murray and Gary Pildner.

Seres' best time for the 220-freestyle has been 2:16, which puts him slightly ahead of the varsity's Dick Seaton and Konrad Ulbrich, both in the 2:17's. Last year, however, Seaton got down to 2:15.9.

In the freestyle relay, the Midshipmen have turned in a fairly good 3:35. The best Harvard has clocked this season is 3:37, though this time can undoubtedly be brought down, especially if Pete Zemo, who has done the 100 in around 53 seconds unofficially, is used.

Cochran Switched

Elsewhere the Crimson appears too strong for Navy. Tom Cochran switched from the middle distances to plug the gap left by NCAA 100-yard sprint champion Chouteau Dyer, has looked quite good over the shorter distance. In practice, he has done the 100 in better than 52 seconds.