The Moviegoer

Joan Crawford at her best in "I Live My Life"; "Pursuit" Exceptionally poor.

By L. P. Jr.

Patrons of Loew's State this week are being treated to two movies--one good, the other exceptionally poor.

"I Live My Life," starting Joan Crawford and Brian Aherne is pleasant enough. It has to do with love between a misogynistic statue digger and a spoiled darling off a yacht. Miss Crawford finds her archeologist (Brian Aherne) on a Greek Island, and fascinated at being told where to get off for the first time in her life, proceeds to fall in love. But not so deeply as to prevent her return to New York alone.

The man, on the other hand, is quite serious about it all, and in no time is in full pursuit, arriving in New York with a statue under one arm and his head full of marriage plans. And from this point on the film is a series of amusing squabbles between two rather charming but utterly unsuited lovers. Only cinematic chicanery could make you believe that they'd over be happy together, but as a matter of fact it does, with the result that the last scene is highly satisfying.

Brian Ahorne and Joan Crawford are well cast in their respective roles.

The other movie, "Pursuit", is badly written, badly, badly acted, and a dull idea to begin with. It is nothing but a long chase for the Mexican border featuring a thrillingly incompetent child actor being wrangled over and pursued by a car full of talky growmps. Among some of the more absurd efforts to create an illusion of speed is on unpursued haywagon going around a corner on two wheels. Better walk out on this one.