UNITED WE STAND

Harvard indifference can be no barrier to the sense of warm satisfaction that will seep through the cracks and crannies of the undergraduate crust at hearing that Yale democrats have likewise nominated Senator Glass for president. No doubt great allowance must be made for the Senator's personal record. Yet the University may still take pride and comfort in the fact that its judgment, so often rebuffed by professors and examiners, has been affirmed by no inconsiderable number of competent thinkers. Not only has Yale begun to emulate Harvard in presidential nominations but also in the good old custom of winning athletic victories; and perhaps naturally because of the novelty of the idea, Yale has in the latter realm sometimes carried a good thing too far. But moderation and good taste are certain eventually to reassert themselves and Harvard will then be able to look with unallowed pride upon its protegee.

Every undergraduate who reads of Yale's action must surely have the same thought--that the undergraduate bodies of Yale and Harvard must stick together. Too long have the youth of these great universities suffered under the domination of tempestuous landlords (and ladies), of demoralizing diets, of unprincipled and unscrupulous blue-book readers. With a leader, with a poetry and song factory, what could not be done? Winter hurricanes would no longer eddy within undergraduate studies. Every student would be assured of plenty of good shredded wheat and milk every day. As for blue-books, fetch bombs and brickbats and let joy be unconfined.