WYZANSKI CARRIES OFF PALM IN TIMES CONTEST

WILL REPRESENT UNIVERSITY IN FINALS ON MAY 15

Charles Edward Wyzanski Jr. '27, of Brookline, won the first prize of $250 in the Harvard division of the New York Times Current Events Contest, it was announced last night by Professor A. N. Holcombe '06, Chairman of the Harvard Committee. Wyzanski will now be the University's representative in the final examination of the contest which will be held on May 15. Honorable Mention was given John Goodchild Dow '27, of Kennebunkport, Me.

Seven Books Re-Read

Thirty contestants entered the contest from Harvard, and 28 took the examination. The judges after a preliminary consideration of the books picked seven of them which they designated as "A" grade. These were the ones written by J. F. Barnes '27, J. G. Dow '27, H. W. Foote '27, H. M. Hart Jr. '26, R. P. MacFadden '26, H. F. Williams '27, and C. E. Wyzanski Jr. '27. The books were then reread and the winner and runner-up picked. The margin between the leading books was so small that several extra days of deliberation were necessary before the judges could decide on the victor.

The judges who passed on the merits of the competitors were Professor A. B. Hart '80, Professor J. P. S. Tatlock '96, and Mr. R. L. O'Brien '91, editor of the Boston Herald

Examination Rules Lenient

Those who took the examination were given their own choice of subject, which they could pick from the entire field of current events from October 1, 1925, to the present. The examination lasted two hours and the candidates were allowed to write for the whole time on one subject, or for one hour on each of two subjects.

The final examination on May 15 will include a number of specific questions as well as an essay, the plan being to test the candidate's knowledge of facts, his understanding of their relative significance, and his interpretation of their importance. The examination will be given simultaneously in each of the 11 competing colleges.

Hawkes, Holt, and Holcombe Judge

Dean Hawkes of Columbia, Colonel Holt of West Point and Professor A. N. Holcombe of Harvard are the national judges.

The universities which are entered in the contest are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, West Point, Annapolis, University of Michigan. University of Chicago, University of Virginia, and University of Pennsylvania.