New Books.

The New History of Sandford and Merton. Being a True Account of the Adventures of "Masters Tommy and Harry, with their Beloved Tutor, Mr. Barlow." By F. C. BURNAND, with seventy-six illustrations by LINLEY SAMBOURNE. Boston: Roberts Brothers. 1872.

IT is almost with regret that we take up a burlesque of that delight of our school-days, Sandford and Merton; but, since the author of the new history has already given us proof of his humor in Happy Thoughts and other books, we look for amusement, if not instruction, and are not disappointed. The book opens very funnily with a description of the "hilarious" son of the farmer, and of the young Jamaica nabob. Of course the omniscient Mr. Barlow falls an easy prey to the author's talent for ridicule, and becomes in farce what Mr. Pecksniff is in comedy. The stories which this gentleman was so fond of narrating appear again, but, as might be supposed, in a very different form. Most of them are very good, particularly Leonidas and the Conceited Pedler, the latter having the "conceit taken out of him" in a very ingenious and amusing way. The poems, with which the book is interspersed, are by no means as good as the stories, and they bear, we think, a too loose resemblance to some of those in Through the Looking-glass. Mr. Barlow's French Exercise, too, is very like that of the German Professor in our author's More Happy Thoughts, but, as it is short and funny, the repetition may be excused.

On the whole, we strongly advise any one who wishes to enjoy a hearty laugh after dinner, or, indeed, at any other time, to read Sandford and Merton in its new form.

How to Educate Yourself, with or without Masters. By GEO. CARY EGGLESTON. New York: G. P. Putnam & Sons. 1872.

THIS book surprises us by the modesty and common sense which appear to pervade it, - two agreeable qualities not usually found in guide-books of this sort. Although it does not attempt to furnish a catalogue of the best works in the various departments, it is clear and thorough in the advice and information it furnishes. Of course, much of the book would not be new or valuable to one who enjoys collegiate study and instruction, but there are many hints in it which would prove useful to any student.