A CURIOSITY IN LITERATURE.

THE simultaneous publication of two books, written by students of this University, is a literary event of no small importance to us, and is a triumphant answer to those who assert that literature is at a discount here. The books are now in press, and will be for sale in a few days. Both are in pamphlet form, and, when published, may be had at the bookstore. We have advance sheets of both before us, and we predict for one, at least, a ready sale. The first was doubtless suggested by an article in the last Magenta. It is entitled "A Complaint of the Increase of Beggars in the University," and, as we read it, we were in full sympathy with the author throughout. It is divided into three parts. The first is merely introductory, yet very interesting; the second describes a plan of the author for lightening the burden of the "American poor-rate" (as he calls our voluntary charities), and how it failed; the third gives suggestions as to the best way of discouraging mendicancy. We quote the second part at length by permission of the author.

"When Charles Lamb complained of the decay of beggers in the metropolis, he was surely thinking more of those who appeal for charity in the streets than of those who haunt the doors of our lodgings. These latter are the ones who besiege us, and nuisances they are. If I could have my way I'd banish them all to Chelsea, - I can think of nothing worse. Some of the older ones in the business must have got rich by this time. Nobody knows how many Credit Mobilier shares they own. They are one of the drawbacks of student life, but we must submit to them as to so many other extortions. It is with a view to making this submission easy that I offer the following plan. It is the joint production of myself and chum. We thought it carefully out in accordance with the canons of taxation. It is arranged, you will notice, so that

"Each occupant of the room contributes to the beggar-fund a sum proportionate to the number of oaths which he enjoys under the protection of his room. So that

"The taxes are certain, not arbitrary. The time of payment, the manner of payment, the quantity to be paid, is clear and plain to the contributor and to every other person (who inquires). So that

"Every tax is levied at the time and in the manner in which it is most convenient for the contributor to pay it. So that

"Every tax is so contributed as both to take out and keep out of the pockets of the room occupants as little as possible over and above what it brings into the contribution-box of the room.

"So we agreed that when either of us used language which transgressed the bounds of good taste, - in other words, when either was roused to profane remarks, - we should deposit in a box for the purpose one cent for every such remark, and the money thus obtained should constitute a charity-fund. Whenever a beggar applied, either could draw out of the fund any sum at his discretion.

"The moral results of this scheme were excellent, but yet the contribution-box was never empty; and I put in the most money, for the provocations to profanity which an ingenious chum can invent are infinite. But although there was always some money in the box, it seemed to me that pretty large amounts disappeared regularly, and I was at a loss to account for them, until I detected my chum in subscribing for the latest scientific work by Cowan, and paying for it out of the charity-fund. I earnestly remonstrated, telling him I thought Mr. B -, the agent, was rather a fine-appearing mendicant. I remembered then that my chum had been purchasing quite a library within a few weeks. He promised better things, but after that I was suspicious, and when on careful investigation I discovered that my chum had spent in a certain week $5.48 in penny-ante, beer at Carl's, and a subscription to the Cricket Club, and that in the same week just $5.48 had been drawn out of the box for beggars while I was out of the room, I thought it time to drop the plan. I really could not afford to pay for my chum's amusements. However, I still recommend the scheme to those who are smarter than their chums."

The other is called "Every Man his own Thayer Club; or, How to Live Cheaply." It is written by a high-rank man, and evidently embodies the fruits of his own experiments. Its object is not only to show how to live cheaply, but also how to regulate the diet so as to economize time for studying. It is with this purpose that cracker and milk is made the staple article of food, while meat is restricted to Sundays. For, according to medical advice, studying should not begin after an ordinary meal for an hour; while with this diet digestion will be far enough advanced to permit studying in fifteen minutes. But the author, in making up an estimate of the cost of living for a year on this plan, forgot to include the expense of a funeral, - a great oversight. We are afraid his regime will not find favor with the majority of students; but the book, as an expression of the opinion of a representative man of his class, has considerable interest.

Three Seas.