BASE-BALL

THE second game of the season between the Bostons and the Harvards was played on the Union grounds on Saturday, 26th ult. After the weak display which the "University" had made the previous Saturday, an easy victory was anticipated for the Bostons. The result, however, was an agreeable disappointment, and the few spectators present were treated to an interesting and exciting game.

The Harvards won the toss, and after "skunking" their opponents were themselves served in like manner, though Annan secured his first base by a fine hit. The next two innings added nothing to the score; but in the fourth the line was broken, and each side scored one run, without, however, earning it. A fine one-hand stop and throw to first by White marked the fielding of the Harvards in this inning. The fifth inning was a "blinder" for both sides; and in the sixth, after the Bostons had been retired for two runs, the Harvards went in, and, by a little fumbling on the part of their opponents, aided also by White's two-base hit to centre, secured two runs. Thus the game was still a tie at the beginning of the seventh inning. But now the professionals begin to realize their danger, and, bending to their work, succeed for the first time in making any headway against Hooper. In the eighth inning several base-hits in succession are made, and four of six runs earned. TWO "whitewashes" close the game, though, as on several previous occasions, the Harvards get men on the bases; but these only offer a chance for a double play, which is taken advantage of by their opponents.

Though the score stands three to one against our nine, they have every reason to be proud of their record. The game was certainly the best-played one of the season. Where all did so well, it is difficult to particularize; but Kent and Hodges deserve especial praise for their fine fielding, while Hooper led at the bat; and the latter's pitching was also very effective, and was well supported by Sheahan behind the bat. The following is the score: -

BOSTON. R. IB. P.O. A. HARVARD. R.IB.P.O. A.

G. Wright s.s. 2 2 3 6 Eustis, r.f. 0 0 0 0

Barnes, 2b 2 2 5 4 Annan, s.s. 2 2 2 5

Schafer, 3b 2 1 1 4 Tyler, l.f. 1 1 0 0

Leonard, l.f. 0 2 1 0 White, 3b. 1 1 1 2

White, c. 1 0 4 1 Hooper, p. 0 3 0 5

Spaulding, p. 1 1 0 2 Sheahan, c. 0 03 1

H. Wright, c.f. 1 2 0 0 Estabrook, c.f. 0 2 1 0

Manning 1 b. 1 1 13 0 Hodges, 2 b. 0 1 2 7

Birdsall, r.f. 2 2 0 0 Kent, 1 b. 0 1 18 0

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Innings .. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

BOSTON . . . . 0 0 0 1 0 2 3 6 0 -- 12

HARVARD .. 0 0 01 0 2 1 0 -- 4

Umpire, Mr. M. E. CHANDLER.