Our Exchanges.

THE Magenta does feel "immensely honored" by the favorable opinion of the Vassar Miscellany. Three months we have been waiting to read their comments; many times we have repented permitting any one to criticise their taste or their wisdom. But the editors are forgiving; they return good for evil. The author of "Literary Ruskinism" will be pleased to learn that his article was especially praised; but he may not be inclined to adopt their advice, and drop Greek at the end of this year. This number of the Miscellany in some respects is not so brilliant as the preceding, but there is less to censure, less, too, perhaps, to wonder at. Some of its exchanges it treats very cavalierly, but for the most part its criticism is fair. The "Department of the Alumnae" we hesitate either to praise or blame. What reason, however, can there be that the author of the plea for an election system should give the following advice? "Elect stern simplicity in dress..... Elect muscle for physical dependence. Dare to mount a wall unassisted; and, further-more, choose a five-mile walk, with a study of nature's coloring by the way, in place of working dogs and dahlias in worsted. Elect a course of reading for a series of formal calls. Elect a little self-control for screaming at a snake." Is it possible that these students are otherwise than simple in their dress; that they wear aught but waterproofs and thick shoes? Is it possible that there are any walls in Pough-keepsie over which they are assisted?

The essay on Charles Reade is particularly just and discriminating, and the views advanced are well sustained. Such contributions are far more attractive than those of like nature with the article on "The Duty of the State to Culture," which formed so large a part of previous numbers.

There is one matter about which we are a little doubtful. Was that article on "Sobriety" written to rebuke the students for unbecoming mirthfulness? It certainly looks that way; but far be it from us to entertain such an idea for a moment. Could their mirthfulness be unbecoming?

WE do not object to heaviness in its proper place, but it is equally disagreeable in biscuit and in college papers. It is not mere dulness and inanity that we refer to, because such things are likely to happen in the best edited Magenta, but downright, ponderous sermonizing. The Denison Collegian is heavy; never apt to be absolutely feathery, the present number is more soothing and sleep-inviting than any of its predecessors. The first article, "What Next?" is excellent from a theological point of view. Then somebody "does" Herbert Spencer's Philosophy of Style, and this is followed by a "literal translation" from Horace, happily named "The Bore"; it is not particularly well done, but comes as a blessed oasis in the desert of Denison. "The True Shekinah" is a racy bit of writing, which quite demolishes the friends of science, whom it accuses of having "lifted up their heels against us and against science too. They have polluted the temple of God, they have sprinkled swine's blood in the Holy of Holies, they have tried to banish the Shekinah. Have they succeeded? Will they succeed?

'The truth that liveth, the thoughts that go,

The spirit ascending, all answer - No,'"

"The Study of Astronomy" is a nicely written rhapsody, indulging in such flights as these, "To his mind uninstructed in the mysteries of science, the starry firmament must have presented a great and wonderful scene. Its silence! its splendor! its immensity! its blue diamond-studded arch, resting upon the unseen and the unknown! Those wonderful lights! What are they? Whence do they come? Whither do they go?" The concluding article, "Perishable," is still more sermon-like than its companions, but is short.

The Cornell Era for April 18 contains an uncommonly pretty poem, entitled "Cayuga Lake," much the best long poem that we have noticed in our exchanges for some time. Something depends, perhaps, upon the prettiness of the name "Cayuga"; it recurs after every three lines: now, should we substitute "Skeneateles" or "Schoodiwabschooksis" in its place, we are afraid that even neat and graceful verses could hardly make the poem a success. For instance, -

What mermaids through thy pathways roam,

Or in hoar caverns make their home,

And drink thy bosom's milky foam,

Cayuga.

Oft has the Indian wooed his maid

Within some covert's tangled shade,

When thou their bridal music made,

Cayuga.

If in a destructive mood, try the various readings for "Cayuga" which a glance at the map of Maine will suggest. Seriously, we like the poem exceedingly, and though the author shows inexcusable carelessness in places, - as in rhyming "maid" with "made," and "thee" with "thee," such blemishes are as nothing compared with the sentimental puling and precocious goodiness which we have learned, alas! to expect in many of our exchanges.

THE May number of the Lippincott's Magazine, in interest and variety, contrasts favorably with any previous issues. "The Roumi in Kabylia" is continued. Few are acquainted with either the people or the country which this essay so well describes. Margaret Howitt contributes a pleasant record of her residence in a country town in the Pusterthal. But of all the articles those which interested us most were those on "Salmon Fishing in Canada" and "Cricket in America." The one so attracts us that, were the time at our disposal, nothing would be esteemed a pleasanter amusement than the privilege of capturing this noble fish in the streams of the Dominion. The other is a timely article on a game which in this country is gaining ground slowly, for which, however, its admirers claim much. The present position of cricket is well stated, and all who are interested will find their pleasure served and instruction gained by reading this. The article on "Wilmington and its Industries" is one not so attractive to our minds, and seems somewhat out of place in a magazine of such a popular character. No doubt, however, it will please some. For our own part, we are tempted to wonder how much the various manufacturers pay to have cuts of their buildings so prominently exhibited, and their various productions so well advertised. Those who are interested in fiction will find much to please them, and those, too, who seek for witty sayings will not be unsatisfied if they turn to "Our Monthly Gossip."

A SOPH. gets mad at his girl, and avenges himself thereby: -

"I know a girl who walks the street,

With many a quirk and kink;

If I should go with such a girl,

What would my mother think?

I'll leave that girl severely alone,

The flattering little mink;

Were it known at home all the lies she's told,

What would my mother think?"

College Days.THEY have been having a public rehearsal of the musical department at Ripon, and College Days has a full and satisfactory account of the proceedings. It pats Miss Alice Clark on the head for being a good player for one of her age, and mentions Miss Merriman for having performed her part in an artful manner. Did she ogle the audience, or what?

ANOTHER Methodist university is proposed! At Washington. Call it Wesleyan University of D.C.! Seven is a sacred number, and Wesleyan is a holy name. There are, already, six "Wesleyan Universities" in this country; this will fill up the measure! - University Herald.

EXCHANGES report righteousness below par at Michigan University. Sand; wind; destruction! Rock; storms; perpetuity! - University Herald.

"A VASSAR Senior gives as her reason for smoking a cigar that it makes it smell as if there were a man around." - Ex.

"We are always glad to receive an exchange which is not in the 'ring.' We open it with a sense of security against meeting the 'Enviable Mr. Vassar!' and the means of self-delusion employed by the Vassar Senior pining for masculine society. The University Herald, in its excellent hints to its successors, recommends that a few small items be always set up to be ready to complete a column in case of need. We should judge that most of the college periodicals have the above-mentioned stereotyped into permanencies, and introduce them, if need be, on every page of their publications. But we did not start to say this; - we are glad they have found such never-failing well-springs of pleasure." - Vassar "Miscellany."