THE FOOT-RACE.

THE running race for the Bennett cup, a novelty in intercollegiate sports, took place on Wednesday of the Regatta week. Unexpectedly as the notice was given, men from five different colleges entered their names. Of these only three answered the call on the racing day, - Phillips, of Cornell; Bowie, of McGill College, Canada; Benton, of Amherst. They drew 1st, 2d, and 3d positions, respectively. The race was for two miles, but the first excited little interest. The first half-mile Benton led, with Phillips second, having passed Bowie just before crossing the line. The end of the next quarter Bowie struck out a little, but in a moment fell back again, contented to wait. At the opening of the second mile the large audience were thoroughly roused and eager. The runners quickened slightly, but retained their relative positions till the last half-mile, when Benton led by at least thirty yards, - a large gap which it seemed impossible to close. In the next quarter Phillips and Bowie gained steadily on Benton, who seemed unable to quicken his gait. Bowie passed Phillips, caught up with Benton about two hundred yards from the finish, and, to every one's admiration, made a beautiful spurt, closing the well-won race, - winner, in 11 minutes 18 1/2 seconds; Phillips 1 1/2 seconds later.

The question of the anxious Bentonians, in reference to the whereabouts of their friend, was answered by the sight of that friend moodily retiring from the spot where Bowie had passed him, evidently disheartened and disgusted. He may have trained on wrong principles; his style of running was certainly not good, - being too showy, and not at all easy or smooth; worse than all, he betrayed a lack of pluck, - a prime condition of success.

Bowie was the best runner, both in build and action. He showed excellent condition, and finished the race little distressed.

Phillips ran a little unsteadily, but came in very pluckily, close behind the winner.

The nonappearance of Benton caused much excitement. He was the favorite in betting before the race, and many left the course thoroughly alive to the aphorism, "Never bet on the favorite."