CHESS.

AT a meeting of the Chess Club on Tuesday evening, it was voted that a general tournament should be held, the management of which was intrusted to a committee consisting of Messrs. Green and Stimson, '76, and Humason, '77. The following rules have been adopted:-

"The tournament shall be open to all the members of the Club, irrespective of their having passed the entrance examination. Every contestant shall play one game with every other contestant; and the one winning the greatest number of games shall receive the first prize, together with the Challenge Cup; and the victor in the next largest number of games shall receive the second prize. Not more than five minutes shall be allowed for any move. If any contestant retire before having completed his series, all games played by him shall be thrown out of the calculation."

It is earnestly hoped that many will enter this tournament, as from their number the "fighting staff" of the Club will be chosen. The prizes will consist of sets of chessmen, of a minimum value of five dollars each.

The tournament will begin on Tuesday evening, the 19th inst. Those wishing to enter are requested to send their names to Mr. F. L. Green, Secretary, M. 55, enclosing the admission fee of fifty cents, and stating at what hours during the ensuing fortnight they will be at liberty to play. A "tabular view" of the games to be played will be posted in the rooms on Tuesday morning, and the list of entries will be closed at 6 P. M., Monday. All games must be played in the rooms of the Chess Club.