THE JUNIOR THEATRICALS.

THE burlesque "Ill treated Il Trovatore" was given by members of the Junior Class at Horticultural Hall or Friday evening, December 17, and Saturday afternoon, December 18. Of all the performances which have been given in this hall in aid of the H. U. B. C. none have been more successful than this burlesque. The appearance, acting, and singing of all who took part were remarkably good.

A great part of the success of the play was due to the Count di Luna of the occasion; not only was his acting and singing one of the most agreeable features of the performance, but as the author of the "roughs" in the fifth act, the manager of the preliminaries, and the musical director, he contributed fully as much off the stage as on it toward making the performance what it was.

Leonora, in her singing and in her looks, achieved a great success. Her duets with the Count were invariably encored, and her solo, "Where art thou now, my beloved?" roused the most touching reminiscences, and was almost equal to the original. The singing of the gypsy queen Azucena was the best perhaps of the whole play, and the acting of the part, although slightly overdone, was very effective. Her solo, "It is the Sabbath morning," was exceedingly well sung, although its connection with the plot was not very apparent. It was very much regretted that so little was seen of the Kinchen; his very appearance was the signal for a roar of laughter. The part of Manrico, the troubadour, was well acted and well sung. There was more "unostentatious agony" about his costume than travelling musicians of the present day are apt to assume. Ferrando and Ruiz also were distinguished by the gorgeousness of their apparel. Inez was a most charming ladies'-maid, though her dress was not considered beautiful. Of the "girls of the female boarding-school" it is impossible to speak in terms of sufficient admiration. Their wonderful skill in managing their dresses, and the dignity of their French teacher, were features particularly praiseworthy.

In the final act of the burlesque the very clever song on the Cadets "brought down the house," and the last verse had to be repeated on both occasions. The "personals" which followed also appeared to be enjoyed. No one performed his part better than the pianist, Mr. Shippen.

The hall was well filled on both Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, and at both performances the audience was remarkably enthusiastic. The proceeds, which are to be handed over to the Treasurer of the H. U. B. C., will amount to about five hundred dollars.