A PROTEST.

GENTLEMEN,-While deprecating a continuance of the articles on Harvard's religion, which have recently appeared in our College papers, I beg leave to offer a short criticism on the last article of that character contained in the Magenta. Its weak points are many, and they would at once be revealed by a careful analysis both of its course of thought and of its general style. While purporting to be a defence of Harvard students, it is manifestly a protest against certain religious opinions, and a slur cast, in one case upon the expressions, in the other upon the doctrinal views, of two eminent Christian men. The daily papers, Messrs. Editors, have quite sufficiently misrepresented the doctrinal views of the recent candidate for the bishopric of Massachusetts, and we need not re-echo their hasty judgments on the soundness of those views. Let us not admit religious controversy into the colums of our College papers; or, if we choose to do so, for the sake of truth let no one write an article on a religious or controversial subject without an extended course of reading on both sides of the question which he purposes to handle. Let us at least take this precaution against the increase among us of the shallower and more flippant kind of scepticism.

CAUSA SANCTAE VERITATIS.