THEATRICALS.

THE dramatic entertainment given by the Everett Athenaeum at the Boston Union Hall on the evening of May 13 was a decided success in every way. The programme was judiciously made up of interesting farces, all of which were put on the stage in a very creditable manner. In "Thirty Minutes for Refreshments," which was the opening farce, the leading parts were admirably taken. As "John Dumley" Mr. Strobel was excellent, and his careful rendering and excellent acting were noticeable. The character "Clarence Fitts," colored servant, was taken by Mr. Millett, who was fully up to the standard in his impersonation and whose guitar-playing was a feature of the play. Mrs. Foxton was represented by Mr. Seamans, whose appearance on the stage was the signal for applause. His make-up was in excellent taste, and he certainly made a very handsome lady. Two fine bouquets were thrown to him from the audience on his first appearance. The other characters were very well impersonated, especially that of Miss Arabella Pepper, a part which Mr. Lyon took with great success.

Immediately after the conclusion of this farce Mr. Babcock sang, in his usual excellent manner, a new bass solo, "The Bell-Ringer," which was enthusiastically applauded, securing for him an encore.

In "A Terrible Tragedy," the second farce on the programme, the leading characters were admirably taken by Messrs. Sargent and Harris, who were ably supported by Messrs. Whitney and Hosford. As a whole the farce was decidedly well done. The double quartette followed this farce with several College songs, all of which were well received by the audience. The singing showed that the members had bestowed considerable practice on the pieces and that there are several good voices in the Society. The entertainment concluded with "Pipkins's Rustic Retreat," in which Mr. Sargent had ample opportunity to do himself justice. As "Mr. Brittle Pipkins," the retired crockery merchant, he was all that could be desired of anybody, and several times during the play his acting was warmly applauded. As "Salvator Rosa Robinson" Mr. Lyon was excellent, and ably supported Mr. Sargent's impersonation of Pipkins. When telling the story of the mysterious murder, Mr. Lyon's oratorical powers were well displayed. "Shandy Gaff" received excellent treatment at the hands of Mr. Rusk, who looked his part perfectly and had no tendency to overdo it.

The female characters were taken by Messrs. Hosford, Harris, and Tiffany. Mr. Hosford as "Betsy Perks" was certainly in his element, and deserves much praise for the manner in which the part was carried out. This farce was the best one of the evening, and besides being the most interesting was much the most difficult to get up.

The piano solo by Mr. Gilman - not on the programme - which was played just before the beginning of the first farce must not be passed over in silence. The piece was selected with taste and performed excellently.

Mr. Sargent, the stage manager for the evening, and the Committee have reason to be congratulated on the manner in which the entertainment went off.