BASE-BALL.

HARVARD vs. LIVE OAK.

ON Saturday the University Nine played their second game with the Live Oak Club of Lynn. The first game resulted in our favor by a score of 14 to 9, but last Saturday the Live Oaks turned the tables on us. A glance at the score will tell the whole story, - sharp fielding and weak batting on the part of our opponents, and fair batting, but poor fielding, by our nine.

In the first inning, by good clean batting, aided by three errors of their opponents, Harvard scored four runs, two of which were earned. The Live Oaks then made their unearned runs on errors of Sawyer, Wright, and Tyng. In the next three innings the Live Oaks were retired in one, two, three order, while in the fourth we added one run to our score by a base hit of Tower's. The fifth inning was disastrous to us, for after whitewashing our nine the Live Oaks scored five unearned runs on errors of Leeds, Thatcher, and Tyng. The next two innings added nothing to our score and one to that of our opponents. In the eighth it looked as if we might win. Leeds and Wright led off with base hits, Dow followed with a slow grounder towards third, which the pitcher threw over the first-base man's head, letting in Leeds and Wright and sending Dow to third. Ernst then struck a grounder to the short-stop, who threw it to first in time to put out Ernst, and Dow was caught while foolishly attempting to run home. Tower closed the inning with a foul fly to catcher. The ninth inning resulted in a blank for both nines.

Ernst's pitching was even more effective than usual, but five base hits being made on it, while Thatcher caught without a passed ball. Wright played first base with only one error, and that a very excusable one. Tyng made three bad errors, and Leeds and Sawyer two each. In the eighth inning Leeds atoned in some measure for his errors in the first part of the game, by making a wonderful running catch of a low fly. Tower led the batting. Of the Live Oaks, Stratton, Shattuck, and Coggswell did most of the fielding.

The following is the score:-

LIVE OAKS.

R. 1B. PO. A. E.

Stratton, S. 2 1 3 6 1

Hall, C. 2 0 1 1 0

Tipper, L. 2 0 1 0 0

Bradley, P. 1 1 1 2 2

Hawkes, B. 0 1 3 3 0

Caskins, M. 0 0 1 0 0

Cogswell, H. 1 0 5 0 1

Shattuck, A. 0 1 12 0 0

Wilson, P. 1 1 0 0 1

--- --- --- --- ---

Total, 9 5 27 12 5

HARVARD.

R. 1B. PO. A. E.

Leeds, S. 1 1 4 4 2

Wright, A. 2 1 12 0 1

Dow, R. 1 1 0 0 0

Ernst, P. 1 1 0 4 0

Tower, M. 2 2 0 1 0

Tyng, C. 0 0 2 0 3

Latham, L. 0 1 1 0 0

Thatcher, H. 0 1 2 1 2

Sawyer, B. 0 0 6 3 2

--- --- --- --- ---

Total, 7 8 27 13 10

Innings . 1st 2d 3d 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

Live Oaks 3 0 0 0 5 0 1 0 0 - 9

Harvard . 4 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 - 7

Umpire, Wm. L. Estes, of Lynn. Time of game, 2 hours 5 minutes. Bases on called balls, 1 each. First bases on errors - Live Oaks, 7; Harvards, 4.

HARVARD vs. BOSTON.YESTERDAY our Nine met the Bostons for the second time this season. The game was one of the closest and most exciting ever played in New England, and the Bostons were put in such a tight place that it took them eleven innings to pull out of it. The game was remarkable, not only for the number of innings required to decide it, but also for the inability of our opponents to hit Ernst's pitching. The Bostons made only three base hits, - the fewest they have earned in a full game since their organization.

For the Bostons Leonard led off, and was put out at first. O'Rourke made a base hit, got to third on Wright's failure to catch a ball thrown him by Ernst, and came home on Murnan's hit to short stop. Schafer closed the inning with a foul fly to catcher. On our side Holmes led off with a base hit, and stole second where he was left, the next three strikers retiring in order. The second inning resulted in a blank for the Bostons, Manning being left on second after making a clean hit.

For Harvard, Thayer made a base hit, but was forced out by Tyng's grounder to third. Latham went out on a fly to Leonard; Thatcher hit safe, bringing in Tyng; Sawyer was given his base on called balls, stole second, and scored on a base hit by Holmes. Wright struck to first base, and was put out. In the next two innings neither nine added anything to their score, but in the fifth Sawyer, after hitting safe, scored the only earned run of the game, coming in on a "two bases" of Holmes's. Score 3 to 1 in favor of Harvard. From this point until the eighth inning, the score was unchanged, the play of both nines being marked by sharp fielding and weak batting. In the eighth inning Joseph retired on a fly to pitcher. Parks struck an easy grounder to Sawyer, who, after fumbling it, failed to throw it to first in time. Leonard batted to Sawyer, and was put out at first, Parks in the mean while reaching second. O'Rourke struck sharp to Thayer, who, after making a pretty stop, threw wild to Wright, letting in Parks and sending O'Rourke to third. Murnan, after purposely trying to balk the catcher, for which be should have been declared out, hit a slow bounder to short stop, who threw wild to first, giving O'Rourke his run. Manning closed the inning for the Bostons by a long fly to left field. Scorer to 3 to 3. On our side Dow reached first on an error of Schafer, but was left there, the next three strikers retiring in quick succession. The ninth and tenth innings resulted in nothing for either side.

In the eleventh Murnan secured second by an error of Holmes, Schafer struck to Sawyer and was put out at first, McGinley batted to Wright, who, by a bad overthrow, let in Murnan and sent McGinley to second, where he was left. Latham got his first on three strikes and stole his second, but was left there by the weak batting of the next three strikers.

We have every reason to feel satisfied with the result of this game, showing as it did that our nine can play a long and trying game with professionals without becoming in the least demoralized. It will be seen by the score that while we fielded as well as the Bostons we greatly excelled them in batting. We lost the game by one or two unfortunate errors in the eighth inning.

Ernst's pitching was wonderfully effective and Thatcher's catching almost faultless. Our outfielders had a good deal of work to do, and did it without an error. The only two serious faults in our nine seem to be want of judgment, at times, in their base running, and a tendency to become nervous when the bases are full.

The score is as follows:-

HARVARD.

R. 1B. PO. A. E.

Holmes, S. 0 4 0 3 3

Wright, A. 0 0 12 0 2

Dow, R. 0 0 2 0 0

Ernst, P. 0 0 3 2 1

Thayer, C. 0 1 2 2 2

Tyng, M. 1 0 3 0 0

Latham, L. 0 0 2 0 0

Thatcher, H. 1 1 7 0 2

Sawyer, B. 1 2 2 3 2

--- --- --- --- ---

Total, 3 8 33 10 12

BOSTON.

R. 1B. PO. A. E.

Leonard, B. 0 0 4 5 0

O'Rourke, L. 2 1 1 0 0

Murnan, A. 1 0 17 0 1

Schafer, C. 0 0 2 3 2

McGinley, S. 0 0 1 1 1

Manning, R. 0 1 1 0 0

Morrill, H. 0 0 3 2 5

Joseph, P. 0 0 0 2 3

Parks, M. 1 1 4 0 0

--- --- --- --- ---

Total, 4 3 33 12 12

Innings . 1st 2d 3d 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th

Boston . 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 - 4

Harvard . 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 3

Bases on called balls, Murnan, 1; Thayer, 1; Sawyer, 1.

Umpire, Mr. A. G. Hodges.

Time of game, 2 hours and 35 minutes.