PI ETA THEATRICALS.

THE theatricals given at Union Hall, last Wednesday, by the undergraduate members of the Pi Eta, included the farce "Class-Day," and the burlesque "Villikins and his Dinah." The farce was written for the society by Dr. F. A. Harris, a graduate member, and though depending more than usual upon the absurdity of situations for its effect, and inferior to his former farce "Chums," yet it received deservedly a fair share of applause. The Honorable Mr. Buncombe as personated by Mr. Sargent, and Mr. Joy in the character of Mrs. Taylor, were both well received, as was also Mr. Harris, in the part of Frank Buncombe.

Although a rather quiet farce, it put the audience in a happy and expectant mood, which the excellence of the burlesque did not at all disappoint. Like most burlesques which go through the remodelling and adapting hands of college societies, the title gave a very insufficient clew to the real nature of the play. Few burlesques have been given in public by our students which were so full of conversational "hits" and interesting stage "business" as this one, and it fairly bubbled over with puns, although many of these last were lost on all but the acute ears of college men. The playing, except in one or two cases, was so uniformly good that to particularize would be to criticise parts rather than personations. But the burlesquing of the ubiquitous Bill Tweed, aside from the original play, was a source of continuous laughter. Probably the finest playing and completest impersonation given during the evening was that of Mr. Burnham as Dinah; certainly he is at present without a rival in college circles in looking and acting the lady; his voice unfortunately dispels the illusion to a certain degree, though in parts that too is conformed to the character.