OUR EXCHANGES.

IT is with pleasure that we clip the following from the Berkleyan, published at the University of California:-

"A few weeks ago we were pleasantly surprised by Mr. Alfred A. Wheeler, an editor of the Harvard Advocate, dropping in upon us, and though we had but time to pass the courtesies of the day, as we had snatched the few moments between two recitations to make some corrections upon which our issue was waiting, yet we saw enough to show us where some, at least, of the geniality and vivacity of the Advocate comes from. Mr. Wheeler is a fair sample of the intensified life of California, and no doubt sometimes awakens the cool blue blood of our Down-East cousin to a quicker flow. As a student and brother "Scrib," may his flame never wax less!"

THE Dickinsonian says that our poem entitled "Venus Victrix" has so charmed one of their Sophs. that he insists upon every one reading it who comes into the room. Perhaps our Sophs will enjoy the following, clipped from the said journal:-

"I hear the angels whisper;

I see, or seem to see,

The gleaming of the waters

Upon the jasper sea.

I slip in Jordan's waters;

My faith is growing weak;

For Docky says the angels

All speak good Attic Greek.

And what to me is heaven,

And what its constant joy,

If I must flunk in Attic,

As when I was a boy?"

FOR the honor of college journalism be it said that an editor rarely has to notice the use of rowdyish and vituperative language between college journals. The cowardly and malicious use of calumnious language by an editor - such language as he would not dare to use except under the protection of anonymous writing - is extremely rare. When such a case is met with, we consider it our duty as a college journal to notice that which as a personal attack we should consider it unnecessary and undignified to answer. We therefore publish the following, taken from the College Spectator, a publication of Union College, New York:-

"We are extremely sorry that Harvard, according to the Magenta, has been forced to eat her own words in regard to the foul last summer. But when trouble is ahead, liars and blacklegs resort to every imaginable way of escaping the impending evil. We will, with the public, believe the daily papers of that time, in preference to a gang of fellows who, if they will deliberately smash a rival's boat, will resort to lying, eating their own words, or any meanness that sneaks are capable of. We exceedingly regret that this is the last number of the Spectator which we edit."

We presume that this ebullition of blackguardism was called forth by the remark, in a recent number, that Harvard had not charged Yale with "an attempt of a malicious foul," and which we see no reason to recall. Individual expression of opinion is no more to be taken as representative of our University, than this editorial billingsgate of the gentlemen of Union College.

YALE has beaten Columbia at foot-ball, and is happy. That dear little Record is as brisk as ever, and prints its funny little time-honored article on college "sponges," its good little article on "college reform," its examination schedules and society reports, and its terse little expository editorials with plenty of "we's" sprinkled in, and is altogether such a cheerful, busy, bustling, self-contented little sheet as is truly refreshing to behold. This is its best joke:-

"A Freshie has made the astounding discovery that the Shakespearian family was mentioned before the branch to which the 'bard of Avon' belonged was noticed, viz. (Livy, Bk. XXII.):-

"Mavors concutit telum, - MARS SHAKES-SPEAR."

PREACHER to University, just after required church, finds a student drinking brandy-and-water. Student says he always thirsts after righteousness. - Ex.