AN ANSWER.

CAMBRIDGE, January 9, 1877.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

In an editorial published in the Crimson of December 15, I was somewhat surprised to find myself represented as not agreeing with the views on boating lately set forth by graduates in letters to the Crimson.

The fact is that I do agree, substantially, both with '52 and with Mr. F. Crowninshield, and I regret that the editors of the Crimson have received a different impression.

"Those who are to select and train our crew, and who will shape our boating policy for the next summer," are fully sensible of the interest that graduates feel in our boating welfare, and we earnestly hope that they will not only give us their views on rowing, but will also give us liberal subscriptions to the end that those views may be carried out.

I cannot undertake to set forth in the columns of the Crimson the system of training and rowing which we follow this year. If published, it would fill a small volume. For such a work I am not at present prepared, and anything less, I take it, would be unsatisfactory.

The practical working, however, of a part of our system can be seen on any afternoon at the boat-house, where we are busy getting ready for the race with Yale.

Very truly yours,WM. AMOS BANCROFT,Captain H. U. B. C.[We said, in the editorial to which Mr. Bancroft refers, that he should explain his views in case he disagreed with our correspondents. Enough is not known concerning the intentions of those who have charge of our rowing interests, and our remarks were made with the intention of furnishing an opportunity for a reply to the criticisms of the graduates who have written to us on the subject. We have every confidence, as we have often said, in the present captain of the crew, and if the exact state of affairs at the boat-house was thoroughly understood we believe that those who criticise now would then commend. - EDS.]