SUMNER IN COLLEGE,*

CHARLES SUMNER entered college in 1826, and occupied during his college course 17 Hollis, 12 Stoughton, and 23 Holworthy. He was a brilliant student in many studies, - belles-lettres, for instance, and history; but other studies so brought down his average that he did not stand within the first third of his class.

Mathematics was the bane of Sumner's college life. He did not even cut the leaves of some of his text-books in this department; and on one occasion, instead of the simple "Not prepared," he said to the instructor, "I don't know; you know I don't pretend to know anything about mathematics." The instructor turned the tables by replying, "Mathematics! don't you know the difference? This is not mathematics. This is physics."

Sumner was a member of the Hasty-Pudding Club, and it was on his motion that the first catalogue of that club was prepared. When a Senator, it was his custom to make additions to the Pudding library. He and eight classmates formed themselves into a secret society, known to themselves as "The Nine," a title which has since been usurped. From the description of college life in one of Sumner's letters, it will be seen that time has not made many changes, save, perhaps, in the last particular quoted: -

"Everything here is always the same, - the same invariable round of bells and recitations, of diggings and of deads! Mathematics piled on mathematics! Metaphysics murdered and mangled! Prayer bells after prayer bells; but, worse than all, commons upon commons! Clean, handsome plates and poor food!"

Although Sumner frequently cut prayers, especially in his Senior year, he attended recitations regularly. His only recorded interview with the Faculty was on the subject of dress. The regulations prescribed a waistcoat of "black mixed, or black; or, when of cotton or linen fabric, of white." Sumner persisted in wearing a buff-colored waistcoat, and, when summoned, stoutly maintained that it was white, or, at least, white enough for all practical purposes. He won his point, and the subject was dropped.

While in college Sumner gave no promise of his brilliant future; and yet he was always known for his steadfastness of purpose, - a quality to which he owed much of his success in life. He was one of the most, but not the most brilliant writer in his class; and his extreme fondness for oratory foreshadowed to some extent his future career. Yet, on the whole, there are many men in college to-day whose success, as far as one can tell, is far more assured than was Sumner's during his college life.

* Memoir and Letters of Charles Sumner. By Edward L. Pierce. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1877