FACT vs. FANCY.

I WAS very much astonished to read, in the last issue of this paper, a wholesale attack, unsupported by facts or by any strong arguments, against the system of buying books for the Library. The writer's grievances seem to be: first, that the Library owns only one copy of "some of the standard books of reference" (the italics are our own); secondly, that "the Library fund is being expended in trashy French novels, or massive tomes of recondite lore, wherein a fruitless effort is made to reconcile science with orthodox religion."

As to grievance number one, I would suggest that it has nothing to do with the selection of new books, under which head the writer classes all his wrongs. I venture to state that on proper application to headquarters the necessity of a second copy of any book would be investigated, and, if proved, would be followed by the purchase of the book. I can testify from my own experience that the Librarian is only too glad to satisfy all just demands.

As to the second grievance, existing only in the mind of the writer, I can only refer him for a remedy to an M. D. The Library fund is certainly not expended in buying "trashy French novels." The only possible source from which your author can have originated such an idea is that a portion of one bequest has been spent in buying some of the best new French novels; the rest of the fund, as I have just learned by inquiring at the Library, having been spent on standard authors. I do not know what peculiar tastes your writer may have, but I think I can say that anybody of ordinary literary tastes will find in the Library every new book he may wish to read; and I think this is sufficient proof that the Library fund is properly spent. Whatever desirable books are not there will certainly be bought on application, and I should advise your writer to carry his grievances to the Librarian, provided, that is, that he has better reasons for them than he gave in your last issue.

As to the "massive tomes of recondite lore, wherein a fruitless effort is made to reconcile science with orthodox religion," the writer may possibly know what he means, but I confess I have not the least idea!

NEMO.