MEMORIAL HALL AS A MATCH-BOX.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON : -

AT this season of the year, when the undergraduate comes from home laden with the gifts of his fond parents and doting aunts, when tobaccopouches and match-boxes fill his trunks, it is strange that Memorial Hall should be used for lighting friction-matches.

Many of us have seen those round pieces of card-board, bearing on the obverse the illuminated motto, "Scratch my Back," and on the reverse a piece of sandpaper. We have often seen them, and have often made unsuccessful attempts to light matches on them; but I venture to say that it never occurred to the venerable Alumni when they reared Memorial Hall that the tablets and the carved wood-work would ever be used for a "scratch-my-back."

The expense which the Association has incurred in repairing the damages done by the scratching of matches is of course a matter of no consideration; but the thinking man may reflect on the possibility of having to light his cigarette in the wind and storm if he can find nothing to supply the necessary friction except the vestibule walls of Memorial.

LUCIFER.