OUR EXCHANGES.

THEODORE HOOK'S old joke has been played upon a Cambridge student, whose room was overrun not long ago by half the tradesmen in town. Among other articles some silverware and a piano were delivered to him. The Journal thinks the hoax "cruel and childish."

The Master of the Rolls - for whose functions we refer the curious to the students of History VII. - has forbidden the proprietor of the Cambridge rink to let out for hire skates of any description. The undergraduates are consequently in despair.

SOME books have disappeared from the Yale Library, and the Library Committee have published a card in the Courant, threatening to make public the name of any person who shall be found guilty of taking a book from the Library. In reference to the new Chapel at New Haven, the Courant prints the following pithy editorial:-

"We mildly remind the Faculty of two facts: 1st, That they once passed a law which prohibits playing of musical instruments on the campus, except during certain fixed hours; 2d, That a church organ is a musical instrument."

The week from March 30 to April 6 is devoted to examinations at Yale.

According to the Record the Yale class of '76 enjoys an unenviable reputation at New Haven. A "distinguished citizen" recently referred to them as follows:-

"It has exerted a most pernicious influence over the under classes, since its members wear good clothes, are rakes, hard drinkers, gamblers, smokers, chewers, atheists, and blasphemers; so that it will be a blessing when '76 graduates."

It will be observed that the worldly vanity of dress is regarded with as much horror by the "distinguished citizens" of Connecticut as by the most virulent democrats of Cambridge.

THE Amherst Student is more interesting than usual. It contains an article upon "Thackeray and George Eliot," - a new departure from the eternal "Thackeray and Dickens" of past years, for which we cannot sufficiently thank it. It publishes a formal set of resolutions recently passed by the Sophomore class, to the effect that Freshmen shall be permitted to carry canes on and after March 18.

In the editorial column it laments a decline of interest - actual and pecuniary - in base-ball; it praises the heroism of Amherst students at some recent fires in the town, where the fire department appears to have been almost as inefficient as our own; and, finally, it vehemently attacks some of the same students for a nocturnal disturbance in the campus, which seems to have been like the "flare-ups" with which our Cambridge wags occasionally amuse us.

THE Dartmouth complains that "the College" declines to pay any part of the expenses of the crew. It is perhaps necessary to state that "the College" seems to mean the students, and not the governing body of the institution. Additional point is given to the complaint by the fact that the College recently voted to pay a considerable sum for the purpose at once, and that nevertheless money does not pour into the treasury with increased rapidity. The students of Dartmouth evidently imagine that the word of the ordinary college student is as good as gold. It may be - if you wait long enough. But what with limited allowances and hard times, they may consider themselves lucky if the crew is not obliged to sell their boat to pay their debts.

THE Nassau Lit. contains some eloquent resolutions upon the death of the late Judge Elbert Herring, in which the deceased gentleman, who was more than ninety years of age, is eulogized for having "held many positions of trust, and reflected honor on the Cliorophic Society," - a local society of which he was a member while connected with the Princeton class of 1795.

THE Bowdoin Orient publishes a Drinking Song, which reflects almost as severely upon the ladies of Brunswick, as recent articles in the Yale Record have reflected upon the ladies of New Haven. It begins with an exclamation about the "luring looks divine" that "lies" - for "lie" would not rhyme - in "maiden's eyes," and calls upon us to "pledge the maid in sparkling wine." The next verse tells us that

"From maiden's lip

We nectar sip,

Be the maiden thine or mine";

a statement which involves Oriental notions of property in women, and at the same time a highly objectionable tendency to free love. We are next informed that "the maiden's glance invites advance," and after being suffered to advance, we are requested to "drink bliss like sparkling wine," - sentences upon which comment is needless. And, finally, the veracity of all ladies is impugned in the lines:-

"The maiden's `nay,'

We count it `yea.'"

It looks, too, as if strong-mindedness was hinted at by the parliamentary language put into fair mouths.