Epigram.

TO AN EMBRYO EQUESTRIENNE.

By Class Secretary.

Yes, my dear, you do look very pretty,

But you're just a trifle too confiding;

Let me tell you that a riding habit

Can't replace a habit, Miss, of riding!

AN exhibition of the theatricals which the K. N. Society have been preparing was given with much success at a private house in Cambridge, on the evening of the 23th inst.

THE Sophomores were beaten in base-ball by the Freshmen, on May 28. The following is the score by innings : -

1 2 3 4 5 6 Total.

'80, 1 0 0 0 0 0 1

'81, 1 6 3 0 0 4 14

A SAGACIOUS Junior who takes an elective in Chemistry, on presenting a package marked "Soap," at the post-office the other day, was informed that soap was not transmissible by mail. He consulted the United States Postage Laws, and discovered that "chemicals, hard, and non-explosive," are included in mail matter, so he marked his package, "sodic sterate, hard, non-explosive," and presented it to the post-office clerk. It is unnecessary to add that no questions were asked, and that the package reached its destination.

IN Providence, May 22, Harvard Freshmen 10, Brown Freshmen 1. Total base-hits, - Harvard 12, Brown 3. Errors, - Harvard 5, Brown 14. Runs earned, - Harvard 2. The return game was played on Holmes Field, May 27, and resulted: Harvard Freshmen 10, Brown Freshmen 6. Total base-hits, - Harvard 14, Brown 10. Errors, - Harvard 8, Brown 14. Runs earned, - Harvard 1, Brown 2. Double plays, Harvard 3.

As a balm for the wounded feelings of our Nine, the following table is inserted showing the excellent individual record made by the majority, both at the bat and in the field.

BATTING RECORD.

Games played. T. A. B. 1B. %1B.

Tyng 18 86 28 325

Thayer 19 91 28 307

Ernst 18 83 22 265

Latham 17 72 18 250

Holden 19 90 21 233

Howe 16 66 15 227

Fessenden 15 80 18 225

Wright 19 86 18 209

Nunn 18 74 13 175

Alger 11 23 4 173

FIELDING RECORD.

%chances

Games. Chances. Errors. accepted.

Latham, B. 17 101 4 961

Wright, A. 19 204 9 955

Holden, R. 19 18 1 944

Tyng, H. 17 209 14 933

Thayer, C. 19 70 10 857

Alger, sub. 11 43 8 818

Fessenden, L. 15 26 5 807

Nunn, S. 18 61 12 803

Howe, M. 16 38 9 763

Ernst, P. 18 30 17 433

No. errors to a game, 4.68. Base-hits, - Harvard 190, Opponents 105. No. base-hits to a game, - Harvard 10, Opponents 5.52. Runs, - Harvard 137, Opponents 54.

THE Union Athletic Club, of Boston, will hold their third annual Spring Games, open to all amateurs, at the Boston base-ball grounds, on Saturday, June 29, 1878, at 3 P. M. Entries will close Wednesday, June 19. The Programme will be as follows, unless circumstances demand a change : -

1. Throwing hammer. 6. Running broad jump.

2. 100 - yards run, 1st trials. 7. Hurdle race.

3. 1 - mile walk. 8. 1/2 - mile run.

4. Running high jump. 9. 3 - mile walk.

5. 100 - yard run, final. 10. 1/4 - mile run.

II. I - mile run.

Gold Medals will be given for first, and silver for second and third prizes. Third prizes will be given only in games Nos. 3, 9, and 11. An entrance-fee (not returnable) of ONE DOLLAR per man, for each and every game, must accompany all entries. The right to reject any entry is reserved. No one will be allowed to compete unless properly attired. Competitors will please send their colors with their entry. An AMATEUR is any person who has never competed in an open competition, or for a stake, or for public money, or for admission money, or with professionals for a prize, public money, or admission money; nor has ever, at any period of his life, taught or assisted in the pursuit of athletic exercises as a means of livelihood. All communications must be addressed to the secretary.

THE following is a general estimate of the necessary expenses of those attending the meeting of the American Institute of Instruction, to be held July 9, 10, 11, 12, at the White Mountains : -

Railroad fare from Boston to Fabyan's and return, $7.00; membership to American Institute, $1.00; hotel fares per day, gentlemen, $2.50; ladies, $1.50; four days, $6.00 or $10.00. Total, $14.00 or $18 00, plus excursions. Fare from New York to White Mountains and return, including membership ticket, $11.00.

Persons stopping at the Twin Mountain and Crawford Houses will be carried to and from Fabyan's by rail daily, without extra expense.

Rooms should be engaged at the hotels in advance of the meeting.

THE SIGNET will have their Strawberry Night, Tuesday, June 18.

Class of 1877.

THE Corporation of the University, believing that some abuses have crept into the celebration of Commencement Day, has recently appointed a Committee to investigate the matter, and report such remedy as they think advisable.

At the request of this Committee, I submit to you the feeling of the Corporation on the subject, and ask for an expression of the opinion of the Class.

The Committee state that of late years there has been much noise and disorder on that day, - so much as to have attracted the notice of visitors, and occasioned severe criticism on the University; that the trouble is almost wholly confined to the younger Alumni, and especially the last Class graduated, and that it is owing to their liberal hospitality and the strength of their punch. They believe that we do not appreciate the deceptive nature of cold liquor on a hot day, and advise that the custom of entertaining the graduating class be given up. They wish it distinctly understood that the Corporation does not pretend nor desire to act as a god-mother to our morals, but does claim the right to look after the property of the College and the propriety of the day, and they think their ends can be better accomplished by the classes using their influence to stop the abuses, than by direct interference on the part of the Corporation.

In accordance with a suggestion of the Committee, I ask for your opinion on the following questions : -

I. Is it advisable to have rum punch at our meeting?

II. Shall we continue the custom of entertaining the graduating class?

The Secretary requests a prompt reply, as his action may be governed by the answers he receives.

May 20, 1878.