THE RACE.

AS the day of the race draws near, we are anxious to know something definite about the arrangements that are being made in New London for the convenience of the crew and the spectators.

Our own crew leaves here the 22d, the day after Class Day, and will go immediately to their quarters, which are four miles from New London, and on the opposite bank of the river, very near the start. A boat-house has been built for them in a little cove just before their quarters, and they will row their boat up to it from the town the day of their arrival. The Yale quarters are a mile farther up the river, at Gale's Ferry.

Buoys have already been set out along the course at an eighth of a mile apart; and, as the straight course necessitates rowing over a shoal for a quarter or third of a mile at the start, a second course has also been made with a slight bend in it which follows the channel of the river.

The opportunities for seeing the race will be very good. Steamboats will follow the crews from start to finish, and it is guaranteed that they will do better than the poor tubs that followed the boats at Springfield last year; and there is no doubt that they will, for as New London is a seaport town, it of course has greater facilities for getting good boats than Springfield had. A train of platform cars, with seats arranged in the form of an amphitheatre, will also keep along by the side of the boats from start to finish. Each car will hold about eighty people, and it would certainly be a good plan if arrangements could be made by which the students should have certain cars reserved for themselves The only disadvantage of being on this train is, that for the greater part of the distance the boats will be on the opposite side of the river, although at the start and finish they are near the cars. Besides these different modes of seeing the race, there is a good carriage road on the left bank of the river (the railroad is on the right), and any enterprising person would find he could get a fine view by hiring a horse and riding along with the crew.

As the hotel accommodations of New London are not large, some difficulty will probably be found in getting rooms, unless they are engaged some time beforehand. The Crocker House is the best hotel in town, and besides this there is the Pequot House, a summer hotel, about two miles down the river.

After the race a ball will probably be given to both crews, so that, if the crimson comes in ahead, as we all hope it will, we may anticipate quite a jolly day.

F.