COLLEGE JOURNALISM.

The Princetonian gives this comparison of college papers in the West and East. "In the West there is painful evidence of a fear of passing beyond the bounds, and uttering some sentiment which, really they feel they dare not express. In the literary productions can be seen the lack of general culture. Everything appears in the same stereotyped, orthodox form, indicating a narrow curriculum, which we can almost name in detail. In the personals and locals it is again apparent that, outside of the recitation room the college mind is fed on the most petty details. All this surely declaring how much more the different institutions resemble schools than colleges.

Coming east the papers grow more mature in style and management, indicating a corresponding change in the men. Wrongs felt are written of in a reasonable way; the why and wherefore explained with no spasmodic outburst of feeling, too sure to defeat its own end. Originality is introduced. Poetry is more frequent, though not always of the best. The humorous column comes direct from the editors' pen, and is not so frequently clipped. Illustrations appear, more taste displayed, papers regular and with dispatch, showing that they are edited for a purpose, to express opinions and convey news, and not simply for the sake of having a paper. General college news is gathered and topics of universal educational interests discussed. We can read in this that those different colleges have stepped beyond the line of the old regime, helping to round a man out generally, give him the best of everything to fit him for life and not stuff him with a stipulated amount in a particular time. The changed characters of the men are the fruit of all this!"